+1

Looking for help on a 1200xlt

A friend of mine ask for help with his ski and since I know very little about 2 strokes and own a RXP, I thought this would a be a good place for some information.

He has a 01 1200xlt
    According to him he was riding it last summer, ran great all day, towards the end he was at full throttle and it just died, well almost. He said that it wouldnt go above 6mph.

I asked if anything got sucked up into the tunnel/around the driveshaft/prop he said he checked. Some guy at the ramp told him that it could be a problem with the fuel gunking the jets up. Which could be correct with all the ethanol in the fuel nowadays.

Any info would help, also if some has a place where I could get break down of how to remove and rebuild the carbs would help to. I know there used to be a site that had the manuals on it but I think the site got shut down.

a little more info needed please....

Does it have the "Catcon" or D-plate in the exhaust pipe? Ours broke at 9yrs old and that was most of the problem.

Have u got any way to test the compression?

+1
    I figured I need more info. I wont know anything more until he drops it off at my house.

Im not familiar with yamaha's what does a Catcon or D-plate look like.

The "catalytic converter" is something yami installed for emissions in the U.S. builds, basically a very fragile "P.O.S." that breaks up and pieces clog up the exhaust pipe and waterbox... U need to remove asap and install a plate with hole in it (D-Plate) and bypass the sensor (upper) with a "chip" that takes the place of the sensor wire. A very first mod for any 1200 for about $80.00 (I think)

U can also put a note here your looking for used parts and alot of guys may have what u need thats been used but works fine. This would be a good way to make the D-plate/sensor purchase and save a few $$.

Do a search, there's all kinds of help and info on this site... alot of very good help too. LOL !!!

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    All of the above my man but some of the above is to pick up speed. Are you looking at speed or just a fun machine? By the way? PWCToday? Hmmm... yeah ppl aren't too friendly over there. If you don't ride a standup, you are frowned upon. Feel free to ask any questions dude. Good luck.

Thread Information