Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking My First Waverunner

Thx to everyone who responded to my initial post last month "PWC Noob Needs Guidance".

I bought my first Waverunner today, a 2002 1200XLT with 55 hours on it.

The ski: the compression tested a little low at 100/90/100 (I tested the ski cold without touching the throttle - is this a mistake? How does this effect the test? I will test tomorrow and post results) the engine compartment looked really clean; the woman who was selling it was clueless (couldn't answer any questions - kept telling me "I don't know, the marina takes care of the ski, we just add oil and gas whenever we take the ski out"). The body of the ski was OK, but it was obvious that they left it docked (rub rails chunked) and the owner had run it aground (sand) alot. It is scratched and gouged all over (stickers are all shot). The seat, grab bar, handle bars, front cowl all look good. I got the ski and trailer (very nice condition) for $2800.

Now to query the forums for scratch/gouge repair, remove all the stickers...and pickup an oil pump block-off, primer kit, D Plate & temp sensor chip, intake grate.... I will post pictures this spring when my fugly scratchmonster won't break any mirrors!

+1
    Congrats crown,and welcome to GH.

Moderated
    congrats on the purchase

welcome to the family

The ski: the compression tested a little low at 100/90/100 (I tested the ski cold without touching the throttle - is this a mistake

Prolly just fine! Could be a # of things. They are all pretty consitant and close. Low battery will cost sum #'s, not holding the throttle a few #'s plugs not in sum #'s and gauge off. I'd say the motor is fine!

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Congrats on the purchase! When you taking her out?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! When you taking her out?
    Taking her out?32.4F water temp today with lots of ice flows, air temp. is 25F. I need to buy a heavy wetsuit and then perhaps in mid-may. Once the kids are out of school (less than 7 years left), the wife wants to move South. Then the watersport season will be more than 3 1/2 months!!

I'm hitting the stickers with the heatgun today. I will be picking up Rapid Remover this week to clean up the mess left after the sticker removal, then the fun begins. I will be taking stock of topside damage repair required this week (lots of scratches). I will be buying some marine epoxy (marinetex?) and sandpaper to start repairs.

I think I'll be realistic and just shore up the hull and add safety/relaibility items this spring, and then next spring I will repaint and decide whether to go stage1/stage2 or buy a GPR to mod and a dual trailer. 50mph isn't fast enough for me in a boat, I wonder what speeds I can expect with my 2002 1200 xlt?

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Wow thats freezing. Well if it makes you feel any better I didnt ride today either, I was a bit tired. HAHAHAHA its nice and sunny and 70+! Come on down to Miami!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    Wow thats freezing. Well if it makes you feel any better I didnt ride today either, I was a bit tired. HAHAHAHA its nice and sunny and 70+! Come on down to Miami!
    Well, all the scratched up stickers are gone. I'm drinking a hot cup of coffee while my numb face and hands recover (no heat in the garage). The more I look at the ski, the more I realize how big it is...this aint your daddy's little neon jetski!! I can't wait to ride her!!

Also - WTB:
    D Plate
    Intake Grate

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crownline99 View Post
    Well, all the scratched up stickers are gone. I'm drinking a hot cup of coffee while my numb face and hands recover (no heat in the garage). The more I look at the ski, the more I realize how big it is...this aint your daddy's little neon jetski!! I can't wait to ride her!!

Also - WTB:
    D Plate
    Intake Grate
    There are some mods you need to do this ski....
    Get waveeater clips and couplings ($100)
    Pump plug kit ($70)
    Aftermarket grate (<$100)
    D-plate and chip ( $<100)

congratz on the ski and welcome to the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information