Whats the best 2 seater 97-2000ish for my money?

Allo. My mate has just bought a new rxp, its a wicked machine and its definitely got me hooked on the sport, so now im in the market for my own ski.

Im looking at an older 2 stroke (something 97-2000? as i dont have a whole lot of cash to play with), something that turns real hard, has the balls to throw me off the back of and tow a skier, has 2 seats, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, is gonna be reliable!

It seems ive got afew options, but i would just like some outside opinions?

-97 xp: the 787 seems to be rated pretty highly reliability wise, and a hard turning hull?
    -xp limited: Pretty big power difference from the 787, but might blow up on me?
    -Ultra 150: Everyone who owns one of these seems to swear by it, i think its looking to be the best buy, but does it turn as hard as the xp?
    -GP1200R: Dont really know much about it at all, except its a powerful 2 seater in my price range haha.
    -Any other similar skis im missing???

Please. share me your knowledge! I know with the 2 strokes theres always a chance thats its gonna blow up on you, but i would just like to hear people opinions!

xp 951 best thrill ride (personal fav )

ultra 150 good river boat

gp1200 best speed machine

all 2 strokes, all same reliability

ur in OZ ?

+1
    your not going to get a 2 stroke that feels as powerful as the rxp, but they will be more agile and playful.
    also hard to find a hard carving ski, with 2 seats, that can also tow.
    sorta 2 diff machines there. either a GTX for towing and cruising, SPX or XP(951) for more aggressive riding.
    if you get an XP with the sping shock seat, get the 951, the 787 is underpowered.
    the spx is a 787, but an excellent fun hull for carving and wave jumping, and lighter than the xp so its not underpowered.
    the xp or spx are not great towing skis, and arent really setup for 2 person riding. in betweenthe GTX(3person ski, actually only comfy for 2) and the SPX XP(2 person skis, actually only comfy for 1)
    is a GSX 951, that is reasonable for 2 persons, could tow a bit, and stil small enough to be a fun carving and jumping ski. the GSX may be your best all around perfomer.
    what is your price range cuz there might be some used 4stroke skis in your budget...
    i have owned a spx, xp, gsx, gtx... so i know them all pretty well. there are some basic mods on any ski that will turn it into a insanely fun machine to play on, depending if you want to go for top speed, flat water handling, to the other extreme low end punch/holeshot and hardcore carving wave jumping ability.
    i prefer the lowend grunt and carving jumping...

yeah im in Newcastle.

Towing doesnt worry me a whole lot, most ill be pulling is a wakeboarder, an xp should be able to handle that yeah?

Looking at spending about 5 grand? Skis are a shitload more expensive in aus, would it be worthwhile importing an american ski?

Def looking at something with low end grunt and great at wave carving, top speed doesnt worry me a whole lot.

I dont care if the xp is uncomfortable for 2, im not gonna be heading out on long cruises or anything.

xp limited or ultra 150 then? haha i still like the sound of the 150, i just wish i knew someone with one so i could test it.

Thanks for help

none of these are good for towing. they just dont have the stability. a wakeboarder woul dtake an xpl for a ride, not the other way.

go an xl1200, xlltd, gtx, gti, stx

importing? no way.... check the currency exchange, add $3000 for import costs, customs, gst, packaging etc.

for the extra money grab an 06 gti se 4tech. you should get one in this economic climate for around 7 k

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If getting an XP I'd get a 2000 and newer XP. 98 and 99's had issues, although known and repairable, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

The Ultra 150 is a very scary ride in the chop, and will launch you without any warning.

+1
    as far as towing goes, i am referring to towing a waterski or a tube, not towing disabled ships
    a wakeboarder is about the worst thing to tow, they can put a TON of drag ona ski, and pull the rear of the ski all over the place.
    now that can be fun every once ina while, but if you want to do any regular towing, dont get an xp or spx.
    sounds like you arent that interested in towing anyway, more of a wave rider carver.
    seriosly you should try out a SPX. it will be alot more fun in the ocean swells than a XP. SPX is a great jumper.
    the XP is great for carving and leaning over turns, but its not as much fun for jumping.
    XP wiull handle rough water well, because it has sucha deep V hull, thats why it leans over in turns, but that same V splits waves in half and makes it not aws good a jumper as an SPX.
    also the XP is heavier than the spx, if i could i would pobably have kept my spx and not bought the xp, i love the xp , but i loved the spx more.

+1
    you are talking 5000 australian dollars right?? what does a used xp go for there??
    a used spx?
    a used RXP??

xp bout 3 - 5 grand, i passed a 99 xpl stock class racer up for 2500
    spx bout 3 - 5 k
    rxp 04... bout 10 - 12 grand

multiply these figures by about 75% and you got a conversion.

all lifestyle products are going down in demand now so becoming a great time for a buyer.

as more and more business goes bust there will be a plethora of craft out there.

Go for the SPX man.. As far as the "fun factor" is concerned.. NOTHING else that was mentioned comes close. The XPL (98-04 XP) is a super fun ski.. but you seem to want a wavejumper.. and there aren't many skis better at that than the 800 X4 (95 XP800, 96 XP, 97-99 SPX). Good luck!

Thread Information