Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

reusing headpipe gasket yes or no?

01 GTX Carb. I was wondering what gaskets if any anyone feels are reusable if not torn, split ripped etc. I'm not talking obvious critical ones like a head gasket or cylinder case or base gasket but other stuff like a head pipe gasketor an exhaust gasket. I'm gonna tear into my ski soon to check the carb filters and just wanted to know.

I'm sure most people will tell you to just get new ones and I agree, they are affordable and well worth it to have the piece of mind. But there is another option if you're brave enough, I have done this but really do not recommend it unless you have no other options...I used OMC Gelseal on my carb gaskets and it sealed them up really well. It's an anaerobic flange sealant that washes away with the fuel but becomes a true seal when under torque. On the exhaust (at least with my ski) I used Copper gasket sealer where the tuned pipe (purple portion) bolts onto the exhaust manifold (white portion) and it worked very well too.

*Quick addition, I forgot to mention that all of the gaskets were still a part of the sealants, I did not replace gasket with sealant only. But the point of the posting is to suggest that almost any gasket can be reused if it is in good enough shape and no other options are available, it would just need a good quality sealant used with it.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Never reuse the headppipe gasket as they are too prone to leak on 951's. The orange sealer on both sides really help to make the seal. Prep the surfaces real well with a razor blade and clean with carb cleaner before installing the new one.

BTW...you don't have to remove the pipe to drop the carbs.

This is a spot that new gasket is required, If it leaks guess where the water will go??? right on top of the carbs. As stated earlier the copper coat spray works real well on Intake gaskets, carb, and head pipe.

96xpss,

I can't see the carbs very well with the headpipe in the way and have never taken it apart before so I guess for the 1st time I'm gonna have to remove the pipe to check everything out. I'd like to get in and clean the filters in the carb and have a general look-see. Do you recommend just getting a full rebuild kit while I am at it as the ski is running great at the moment and the previous owner just gave me an inovice showing they were rebuilt in July 08.

I understand about the first time. The sad part is you will still have to drop the carbs first to gain access to the 17mm nut under the bottom of the headpipe, unless you have a curved special wrench.

The easiest way to remove the carbs is buy a 6mm x 3/8" socket, and then cut off a ball head 6mm allen wrench 3" long. Then epoxy the two together. This will access the carb bolts easily for removal.

No need to buy a rebuild kit. Make sure you disassemble the accelerator pump too, and spray carb cleaner through the orifices in there.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    I understand about the first time. The sad part is you will still have to drop the carbs first to gain access to the 17mm nut under the bottom of the headpipe, unless you have a curved special wrench.

The easiest way to remove the carbs is buy a 6mm x 3/8" socket, and then cut off a ball head 6mm allen wrench 3" long. Then epoxy the two together. This will access the carb bolts easily for removal.

No need to buy a rebuild kit. Make sure you disassemble the accelerator pump too, and spray carb cleaner through the orifices in there.
    NO it aint the easyist is to by a 6 mm ball end allen socket from sears or the Mac or Snapon they come in different lengths. I use the 2 in with a 1/4 drive ratchet. Not so big but big enough. If you get a snap on set 6 sizes you get the ones for all the allens on a Seadoo........If you cant find a snapon guy stop at the local auto shop and ask them when he comes of if they have a way to contact him. Most mechanics have to make weekly payments and he comes for the payoff

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    NO it aint the easyist is to by a 6 mm ball end allen socket from sears or the Mac or Snapon they come in different lengths. I use the 2 in with a 1/4 drive ratchet. Not so big but big enough. If you get a snap on set 6 sizes you get the ones for all the allens on a Seadoo........If you cant find a snapon guy stop at the local auto shop and ask them when he comes of if they have a way to contact him. Most mechanics have to make weekly payments and he comes for the payoff
    Pest, you really are a dick. First off, proof your post. Buy it or by it?
    Periods help when you end a sentence too. "No it ain't the easiest is" ???

There's nothing wrong with having a different way to do things. Does that make yours better? Does it make mine? No. There is no need to insult someone's way of doing things if yours is different. Really, you said the same thing I did. In the future, take your bad mood elsewhere if you can't help someone in a positive way.

Banned User
    its not worth it just replace it

As I remember, you don't have to take off the pipe to remove the carbs. Why even take the pipe off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information