Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FZ Technical Questions

I picked up my FZS this week and ordered the Riva intake and the R-Rated exhaust. I pulled the oem parts and it is just sitting waiting for the parts to come in. For those that have already run or modded their SHO or FZ, please give me some clarification and/or direction:

1. There seems to be some confusion on whether the FZ has the same mesh intake film as the SHO had. The confusion comes from the fact that Riva offers an upgrade kit - which is it?

2. Do you have to pull the super charger to do the wheel upgrade?

3. Which is the most cost effective inner-cooler upgrade?

4. Has anyone done a GPS run with/without the R&D PowerShot?

As a point of interest, I have a Pontiac GXP . This is the turbo version. It also has a boost limitation. With the stock ECU anything over 20 psi for three seconds will partially close the fly-by-wire throttle. That was solved when the HP Tuners software came out. Kind of ironic, I will be putting the wheel upgrade on the ski in the near future, but, tonight I just finished putting the wheel upgrade on the GXP's turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I picked up my FZS this week and ordered the Riva intake and the R-Rated exhaust. I pulled the oem parts and it is just sitting waiting for the parts to come in. For those that have already run or modded their SHO or FZ, please give me some clarification and/or direction:

1. There seems to be some confusion on whether the FZ has the same mesh intake film as the SHO had. The confusion comes from the fact that Riva offers an upgrade kit - which is it? The FZ does not have the ribbon.

2. Do you have to pull the super charger to do the wheel upgrade? Yes

3. Which is the most cost effective inner-cooler upgrade? ? Cost effective at this time? Replace the core IMO.

4. Has anyone done a GPS run with/without the R&D PowerShot? Not yet AFAIK. They do not ship for another week.

As a point of interest, I have a Pontiac GXP . This is the turbo version. It also has a boost limitation. With the stock ECU anything over 20 psi for three seconds will partially close the fly-by-wire throttle. That was solved when the HP Tuners software came out. Kind of ironic, I will be putting the wheel upgrade on the ski in the near future, but, tonight I just finished putting the wheel upgrade on the GXP's turbo.

See red

+1
    1. There seems to be some confusion on whether the FZ has the same mesh intake film as the SHO had. The confusion comes from the fact that Riva offers an upgrade kit - which is it? The FZ does not have the ribbon.

Are you 100% sure the FZR/FZS does not have the mesh in the intake? I am not disputing your information I just want to be sure your info is 100% correct!

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post

Are you 100% sure the FZR/FZS does not have the mesh in the intake? I am not disputing your information I just want to be sure your info is 100% correct!

I have not personally seen a FZR, but according to R&D Performance they do not have the ribbon.
    (Riva might offer a can of peanut butter to improve speed if they thought we would buy it )

I am suprised to see R&D has their kit online for the FZR as well. Maybe this is to accomodate the FZS?

From R&D documentation I have:
    "The 2009 FZR does not have the ribbon in the intake manifold, therefore, no intake manifold upgrades will be needed on the FZR"
    Last edited by SHOBiz; 03-02-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: PB & J

+1

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I have not personally seen a FZ, but according to R&D Performance they do not have the ribbon.
    (Riva might offer a can of peanut butter to improve speed if they thought we would buy it )
    Yep some times they market information that's a little premature thinking the other models are the same when in reality they are not. Maby somebody who takes a FZR/FZS apart can verify the restrictive mesh screen is no longer in a FZR/FZS.

+1

Question Fzr power core

SHOBIZ,yep you are correct they still list it for the FZR -- FZR Power Core Intake Manifold/Intercooler CFM Kit

The R&D FZR Power Core Intake Manifold and Intercooler CFM Kit was developed to increase airflow into and through the intake system by relieving restrictions. The R&D FZR intake manifold ribbon remover sleeve will unlock a 40 CFM (cubic feet per minute) air flow restriction by replacing the intake manifold ribbon with the R&D billet venturi sleeve. The R&D Intercooler Spacer will unlock a 30-35 CFM restriction in the intercooler. The R&D FZR Intake Kit will add low end and mid range throttle response, and a full 100 plus rpms to top end performance to a stock FZR. The R&D FZR Intake Kit is an absolute must have parts kit to remove intake restrictions before contemplating power adding compressor booster wheels or turbo charger kits to the Yamaha FZR engine. True horsepower gains on the Yamaha FZR start right here with the R&D Intake Kit. More airflow will equal more power, and there is no other way around the fact that restricted is restricted power.

+1
    SHOBIZ,yep you are correct they still list it for the FZR -- FZR Power Core Intake Manifold/Intercooler CFM Kit

The R&D FZR Power Core Intake Manifold and Intercooler CFM Kit was developed to increase airflow into and through the intake system by relieving restrictions. The R&D FZR intake manifold ribbon remover sleeve will unlock a 40 CFM (cubic feet per minute) air flow restriction by replacing the intake manifold ribbon with the R&D billet venturi sleeve. The R&D Intercooler Spacer will unlock a 30-35 CFM restriction in the intercooler. The R&D FZR Intake Kit will add low end and mid range throttle response, and a full 100 plus rpms to top end performance to a stock FZR. The R&D FZR Intake Kit is an absolute must have parts kit to remove intake restrictions before contemplating power adding compressor booster wheels or turbo charger kits to the Yamaha FZR engine. True horsepower gains on the Yamaha FZR start right here with the R&D Intake Kit. More airflow will equal more power, and there is no other way around the fact that restricted is restricted power.
    I'm guessing they still have it listed because their kit is 2 parts...manifold sleeve & IC spacer. $80 seems a bit much if someone only needs the spacer, so maybe they will sell it individually.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I have not personally seen a FZR, but according to R&D Performance they do not have the ribbon.

I am suprised to see R&D has their kit online for the FZR as well. Maybe this is to accomodate the FZS?

From R&D documentation I have:
    "The 2009 FZR does not have the ribbon in the intake manifold, therefore, no intake manifold upgrades will be needed on the FZR"
    +1
    Glenn at R&D told me the same thing, which is good news for FZ owners because that ribbon is a bitch to remove.

+1

Question confused

I am confused , R&D which has a ribbon and sleeve for the intercooler and Riva has a Intake manifold upgrade kit that has a tapered billet sleeve that replaces the restrictive mesh element in the intake manifold. Is it possible that the R&D ribbon is no longer needed in the FZR/FZS but the mesh screen is still in the manifold on the FZR/FZS and needs to be removed and the sleeve added only on the FZR/FZS. Maby someone can call R&D and RIva and clear this up for us. Tommy Jordan

+1
    Mjh3ides: I'm guessing they still have it listed because their kit is 2 parts...manifold sleeve & IC spacer. $80 seems a bit much if someone only needs the spacer, so maybe they will sell it individually.

Riva sells just the sleeve for $34.95 ---------------Is the R&D ribbon that they are talking about the same thing Riva is calling the mesh element and does the FZR/FZS still need this changed to the sleeve and not the intercooler spacer?

+1
    Mjh3ides: I'm guessing they still have it listed because their kit is 2 parts...manifold sleeve & IC spacer. $80 seems a bit much if someone only needs the spacer, so maybe they will sell it individually.

Riva sells just the sleeve for $34.95 ---------------Is the R&D ribbon that they are talking about the same thing Riva is calling the mesh element and does the FZR/FZS still need this changed to the sleeve and not the intercooler spacer?
    The FZ's will not need the manifold sleeve, but could still make use of the IC spacer offered in the R&D kit.

R&D kit (manifold sleeve & IC spacer):

Riva manifold upgrade (sleeve only):

The R&D & Riva manifold pieces do exactly the same thing. The difference is that R&D sells theirs along with an IC spacer for more airflow. The Riva rpm/stage 1 kit was designed to keep you off the rev limit with the stock prop...well in warm weather at least, while R&D recommended a taller prop to be used with theirs. IMO, Riva doesn't offer the IC spacer because they want to sell you a replacement IC in stage 2. R&D also offers a core replacement using the stock IC housing & a cooling kit to get the most out of a nearly stock setup, while Riva wants you to make a big jump in performance/cost going from stage 1 to stage 2. For people like me who don't plan to go further than a C1 wheel, it makes sense to use the spacer & other cooling/air flow upgrades to the stock IC housing, but for those who want to run higher boost, the spacer isn't needed because they will be getting a better IC at some point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information