Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1998 GP800 - Porpoising/Trim Tab Kit??? Which kit

I'm new to Green Hulk and own a 1998 Yamaha GP800. There are few hours on the unit and I enjoy it other than the porpoising. Riva used to make a trim tab set with a part number of Riva P/N# RY2717. I had this posted under the 2-stoke but Mike graciously re-directed me over to this forum (more experienced riders). I guess there are a few options with different years but I need an option for the 98 GP800. Does anyone have any info or a set of the above trim tabs that they would like to sell? I imagine this topic has been beat to death but is this trim tab kit the best option? I've shimmed my ride plate but when riding 2 people on it and it starts bouncing there is no stopping it?

the 98 uses almost nonexistant tab extension to the hull unlike the bigger 97 tabs .. you may not need em!!.. question ?~what type of plate is on it now and how much is the rear shimmed down?.. i ask as 1/2 inch seams to be the amount most use and the longer the plate the better.. the 98 uses the short speed plate as a stock unit thats not as long as the 97's....
    post a picture of it if you can...
    (please correct me if im wrong this is still the gp hull style and not the gp800r hull... if not gp... your set up is more like the r units and not as much old school )

The ride plate and intake grate is all factory. The hull is a GP not a GPR. I shimmed the ride plate with 2 washers each on the front bolts and one washer each on the rear bolts. The unit is at the lake so I will be unable to post pics for a while. I've read two methods of shimming. One being what I did and the other being more shims on the rear bolts than the front? Any suggestion on which performs better. I spoke with technical support from RIVA and they recommended a trim tab kit but it has been discontinued. Maybe I have to buy a longer ride plate and shim it to 1/2" (on the front and rear bolts?). What units would have a ride plate that is longer and would fit on a 98 GP800?

I appreciate the time taken to help out.

Jay

the good news is we can help you with gp better than gpr.. the washer's in front? .. they are not doing you any good ..infact, it is causing the trouble more.. take them out!!!.. the washers/shims go on the rear two bolts at approx 1/2 inch stack..(my stack is at .460 as my plate is longer..'leverage factor') by doing this you will pitch your nose down .. gp's like nose down,it is where you want it to be to handle properly,though it will scrub a mile or two off top end..the qts would force it down too, but that is better left for quick controling of the jet spray angle,not the hull angle.

the plate for the 97 was the longest..98 the shortest.. yami felt it got more speed that way as its not in the water flowlike a longer plate and the fact that they changed the bottom slightly .. if you find any of the gp extended plates, you will find with various shim stacks, your best speed vs. handling and the bounce will be pretty much eliminated

note: the gp loading capacity is 325.. with you, a passenger ,vital equipment and a full load of fuel, you will surpass the capacity of the ski.. handling will be slugish at best and the pourpise would be most noticeable as the ski will fall off plane easyer..

IMO, the gp is best left a 'one' person ski or at most a ski for two lightweight people...

+1
    go to groupk.com and the have a whole section on this.

thank you jayson, your in good hands in the old school section..mike

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    IMO, the gp is best left a 'one' person ski or at most a ski for two lightweight people...
    That's why I love the fact my GF is only 85lbs.....

Quote Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
    That's why I love the fact my GF is only 85lbs.....
    wow thats a small chick, maybe i should date a bigger girl to get my ski up on a plane faster haha (like a superman)j/k

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Well, she is also only 4 foot 7... When she is on the back, I can hardly tell she is there. I am guessing riding on the back of bikes experience pays of on a jetski, too...

a spinner ... ya got to love em!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information