Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How to Remove broken bolt from Mount

So I have this 99 suv that I am working on now. The thing is in mint condition. The motor was already out, so we just decided to get another motor from a forum member (thanks shibby). I look into the hull the other day and realized that someone had broken the bolt that holds the motor to the motor mount. I took the mount out and tried to figure out how the hell I was going to get the bolt out.
    I put the mount in a vice and tightened it down. I put a vice wrench on it and started to twist it, but the entire thing twisted. So I kept pondering as I have broken some motor mounts before trying to take the bolt out. I heated the bolt up and then tried it again. Didn't work. So I then sprayed PB blaster around the edge of the bolt, then hit it with the torch for a good minute, put the vice grips back on it and whalla, the bolt came right out with hardly any force and the mount is still in good shape. Thought I would share that with you guys in case you ever get in this situation. Just spray it down with PB blaster and heat it up. With the hot liquid going around the edges makes it simple to lube the bolt and get it out.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Good post shooter,thanks for sharing.

I can't ever be that lucky! I always have to drill them out and retap.

+1
    Try it out next time and see what happens. Heating up the pb blaster helped it creap down into the threads.
    SHOOTER

sure.... now it works!

Won't the heat degrade the rubber of the mount?

+1
    AJ, your motor mounts were broken, there was no fixing that.
    As for degrading the rubber, that stuff is made out of some hard rubber. I was concerned about that at first, but with the pb blaster on top of the mount area and hitting that with the flame, it didn't mess it up one bit. I used some map gas at low heat and it did the job without messing up the rubber on the mount.
    SHOOTER

i know the mounts were shot. nothing we could have done. too bad you didnt thing of that before we started drilling out the sponson bolt. i'm gonna swing by the machine shop on friday and se what they can do. but, it's a genius move. thats why you're the man buddy!!!!

+1
    Hmmmmm, yeah I forgot about the sponson bolt. I am not sure what the heat would have done to the sponson bolt. We could have put the ski up on its side, then sprayed the bolt. Not sure what we could have done.
    Anybody got any tricks for sponson bolts?
    SHOOTER

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

broken bolt extraction

now that's where art and science meld into one.

It doesn't hurt to have

some really sharp drill bits...
    a good air drill...
    lots of penetrating oil ( I happen to like marvel mystery oil for bolt extraction, but hey, pick your favorite stuff)
    and some really good quality easy-outs..granted you don't like putting $100 in your tool box for stuff you may use once a year ( my original set of snapon extractors, circa 1982 still have two sizes that have never been out of the box)
    a steady hand and some magnifying eyeglasses.

you're collective luck not used for the past few weeks

Of course in less critical snap offs, cutting a slot in a bolt with a dremel, or grabbing that baby with some vise grips comes in handy. I've worked a few softer bolts out with a center punch.

there's some pretty good diatribes on the web on broken bolt extraction, but the most valued tip I was every given...

If it doesn't have to come out right now, soak it down and approach it in the morning after a short prayer to the gods of internal combustion and a cup of coffee or two.

always worked for me.

I just had my first experience with a stripped out pto and prop splines.

The driveshaft was trapped in the pto and I was wondering if I'd every get the prop off ( the splines were about toasted)

I burned some oid premix in a copper kettle while chanting ancient New Mexican songs of the lost seas and both jobs were done without barely a skinned knuckle.

Oh yeah, Kudos to O'neal, ringing the hot pto like a bell worked like butter on a hot day. I didn't even need a really big cheater bar

Now I'm working on offerings to the gods of kawasaki drive shafts for next week...the skis are from Florida

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information