Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help FZS or 260x ? ,Newbie Advice

iam going to buy either a yamaha fzs or kawi 260x soon. i cant really decide which one. i have seen both at dealers but have not ridden either. the yammi is about a $1000. more than the kawi but i would like to know if anyone has ridden both skis and what they thought. this is my first sit down ski. i have been ridding stand ups for 10 years. (550 and 750sxi).
    it seems the yammi has more bells and whistles and the kawi is just simple with alot of HP. any info as far as quality,handling,MPG, would be greatly apreciated as iam torn between which one to buy. thanks

+1
    I would choose the Yamaha over the Kawi but that's just me. What type of conditions do you plan on riding in (open ocean, vs. lakes and rivers, etc...)?

i plan on riding in lakes mostly, maybe a trip to ocean once a year. i need a big ski to give the kids a ride now and then so a 2 seater is no good and my stand ups are useless. i plan on buyin this ski and keeping it for a while (5 years or more) so it needs to be reliable and low maintenence. iam looking at the big HP models as i think i will get bored with a big ski with slow acceleration. I also read the kawi doesnt turn good but handles rough water better. i dont think my lakes have rough water and since i cant do all the entertaining things a stand up can do, i think turning at high speed is a feature the ski needs to do well.
    i also dont want to run out of gas(no where to fill up at my lakes). i need the gas to last half a day. anyone have a range on these skis?

Warning

I can tell you one thing - do NOT buy a ski from JEM motorsports. You will be sorry, and you will pay too much.

Eric

+1
    Sounds ike you have thought it through. Its a fairly simple choice given your fueling requirements. The Ultra260 is the worst as far as fuel economy goes. It is the best rough water ski there is though.

+1

fzs vs 260x

Quote Originally Posted by thead View Post
    i plan on riding in lakes mostly, maybe a trip to ocean once a year. i need a big ski to give the kids a ride now and then so a 2 seater is no good and my stand ups are useless. i plan on buyin this ski and keeping it for a while (5 years or more) so it needs to be reliable and low maintenence. iam looking at the big HP models as i think i will get bored with a big ski with slow acceleration. I also read the kawi doesnt turn good but handles rough water better. i dont think my lakes have rough water and since i cant do all the entertaining things a stand up can do, i think turning at high speed is a feature the ski needs to do well.
    i also dont want to run out of gas(no where to fill up at my lakes). i need the gas to last half a day. anyone have a range on these skis?
    Yamaha is most reliable ski on market! I used to own Sea doo's and 250x's-'08.No more Kawi's for me,problems from the beginning,dealers kept one ski for 4 weeks last summer and not fixing chit!!!and You do not want to know how hard is to sell an ULtra ski!

thanks for the replys. did yamaha have the fzs last year or is it new for 2009? the specs show that the fzs has a smaller tank than the kawi but word of mouth is the kawi is a gas pig. does any one know if they get the same range before u run out of gas?
    also mario what problems u havin with the 08 250x? i thought the 07 were the lemons.

+1
    Yami all the way, ive had doos, kawis and yamis, and yamis are by far the most reliable

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thead View Post
    thanks for the replys. did yamaha have the fzs last year or is it new for 2009? the specs show that the fzs has a smaller tank than the kawi but word of mouth is the kawi is a gas pig. does any one know if they get the same range before u run out of gas?
    also mario what problems u havin with the 08 250x? i thought the 07 were the lemons.
    On one of them I have too replace plugs every 6-8 hrs! I've been towed back to the ramp twice with 15hrs on ski!

FZS all the way. The only time I would even consider the Kawi would be if I was always in rough ocean water. The Yami FZ's are getting rave reviews and the Kawi is known to be a gas pig and stays in the shop with problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information