Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: rusty s/c pully

rusty s/c pully

hey guys, i have a 07 250 with about 70 hours on it, i am a salt water rider. recently put my ski in the garage to detail it and when i went to inspect the belt this is what i saw...

i noticed a hose fitting on the end of the water box looks all cruddy, could that be the cause of the pully rusting? I usually hose of the engine lightly with fresh water and flush out after every ride. will this cause problems this season with the belt and should it be covered under warrenty? hull also never had a leak where there was a substantial amount of salt water in it.

Dammm bro! Sorry to tell you this but your post ride cleaning inside the hull sucks! Thatís WAY too much rust. You did a poor maintence job on it. And its showing.

Salt water or not. I ride 99.9999% salt water, and have no rust in my ski! I can take pics if you donít believe me! My guys and I all have 250's and NONE of them look like that. Its all about cleaning the hull, with LOTS of water, salt away, or dawn and water. You've got to spend time cleaning it. Then when its clean. Need to dry up the hull, no water condenstation. REMOVE THE SEATS after your ride.
    Blow it out, let it dry up. You also have an oil leak somewhere! See all the oil residue. More than likely you wont be covered on a warrenty because of the rust. They will blame that on POOR MAINTENCE on your part. You might as well consider replacing those parts.
    As you DONíT want to break down in the ocean! They MIGHT cover the oil leak though, but the rustÖYour on your own. Practice better post ride maintence, buy you some fluid film. SEARCH and see what us salt water guys do to clean the hull. The info is out there. Good luck.

Easy killer, there is no maintenance or clean up instructions for these things. Many dont know cause the belt and pulley are covered up by a belt guard. As far as most rec riders know they cleaned it good enough but didnt see the covered belt and rusting drive.

What your looking at is a $350 replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Easy killer, there is no maintenance or clean up instructions for these things. Many dont know cause the belt and pulley are covered up by a belt guard. As far as most rec riders know they cleaned it good enough but didnt see the covered belt and rusting drive.

What your looking at is a $350 replacement.
    DOH.. My bad. I forget my boat is not all covered with plastic stuff. Your right though. The covers are a good/bad thing.

Didnt mean to be so hard on ya blu....

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    I'm heading out to the yard to check mine, I ride in Saltwater once a twice a week , is it an easy removal for the plastic cover?

+1
    1. simply poor maintenance wash it out after every ride raise front of ski/trailer let water drain out rear plugs use an air blower if you have one and blow inside the hull, leave seats off.
    2. spray everything with waterproof spray
    3. remove s/c cover and leave off as most people have done.
    4. mines done 61hrs and it looks as new as the day i brought it.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    1. simply poor maintenance wash it out after every ride raise front of ski/trailer let water drain out rear plugs use an air blower if you have one and blow inside the hull, leave seats off.
    2. spray everything with waterproof spray
    3. remove s/c cover and leave off as most people have done.
    4. mines done 61hrs and it looks as new as the day i brought it.

+1....Where's the MASTA when you need him.. Dont tell Belton!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I like Dubz ride 99.9% saltwater

Firstly I recoat before every ride with Lanotec
    ( sheep grease, same as Fluid film )

Tip One of my first mods is to remove covers that prevent you from getting to metalic components and keep in garage to re install when I sell the ski.( supercharger cover is 1st to go)

I flush engine and intercooler for about 5-7min, I use a saltaway in the flushing point to dilute the salt residue inside engine.Some times I even saltaway flush the engine bay!
    after I flush the engine internally , I flush the shit out of the engine bay with fresh hose water & everything, and not just a drizzle, rinse thoroughly!!!, paying attention not to direct water jet into inlet,ECU etc.

while I am doing this I have the front of the ski elevated so water flush's straight out the back.I sometimes use a small step ladder under draw bar.other times I hang the trailer over my retaining wall, this way ski is at approx 90 degrees up in the air.

then I wash ski externally with seat off to let engine cool down after flushing

once ski is dried later that afternoon I coat it again with Lanotec on the hard to get places, as the lanotec lasts longer,
    and the proceed to use approx 1/3-1/2 can every time of Lanotec, on the remainder of the engine , not spraying the belt of course.

also remeber to flush and coat all the external components like pump,reverse assy ,steering cable,throttle cable up at finger throttle,intake grate,trailer,bonnet stayand hinge,
    I also make sure I get a good coating up under the steering assy in the hull etc, every now and then I unplug the plugs use some contact cleaner in a pressurized can and service as many connectore as I can find, recoat them with a di-eletric grease/spray, Basiclly if it moves coat it, if its a bolt/screw that may need to be removed 1 day ,coat it.

And I Fog my engine after every ride!

every 6-7 wash I degrease the engine bay down and start again.
    Basically anything alloy get smothered , I can get you a shot of my old ski. 5years old now , still looks like new in the engine bay.

Waz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Firstly I recoat before every ride with Lanotec
    ( sheep grease, same as Fluid film )

Tip One of my first mods is to remove covers that prevent you from getting to metalic components and keep in garage to re install when I sell the ski.( supercharger cover is 1st to go)

I flush engine and intercooler for about 5-7min, I use a saltaway in the flushing point to dilute the salt residue inside engine.Some times I even saltaway flush the engine bay!
    after I flush the engine internally , I flush the shit out of the engine bay with fresh hose water & everything, and not just a drizzle, rinse thoroughly!!!, paying attention not to direct water jet into inlet,ECU etc.

while I am doing this I have the front of the ski elevated so water flush's straight out the back.I sometimes use a small step ladder under draw bar.other times I hang the trailer over my retaining wall, this way ski is at approx 90 degrees up in the air.

then I wash ski externally with seat off to let engine cool down after flushing

once ski is dried later that afternoon I coat it again with Lanotec on the hard to get places, as the lanotec lasts longer,
    and the proceed to use approx 1/3-1/2 can every time of Lanotec, on the remainder of the engine , not spraying the belt of course.

also remeber to flush and coat all the external components like pump,reverse assy ,steering cable,throttle cable up at finger throttle,intake grate,trailer,bonnet stayand hinge,
    I also make sure I get a good coating up under the steering assy in the hull etc, every now and then I unplug the plugs use some contact cleaner in a pressurized can and service as many connectore as I can find, recoat them with a di-eletric grease/spray, Basiclly if it moves coat it, if its a bolt/screw that may need to be removed 1 day coat it.

every 6-7 wash I degrease the engine bay down and start again.
    Basically anything alloy get smothered , I can get you a shot of my old ski. 5years old now , still looks like new in the engine bay.

Waz
    thats how us aussies do it

If u are riding saltwater think about fogging your supercharger EVERY TIME I know its a pain in the A but u could get some water in there close to the end of a ride and not know it untill u go to start it next time.Any mods can make this even more likely...cant get parts for that supercharger so its exspensive.....I keep my ski in florida I know!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information