Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Seadoo spx purchasing ??

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 95 seadoo spx. I checked the compression it was 155 152. When we started it up it was leaking oil out of the exhaust and smoking.
    What would cause this?
    It is owned by a instructor of mine at school, he said he would have it looked at. Just curious to where it was coming from and why?
    thanks

If the ski has been sitting for a while, it could be build up from a slow leak in the oil system. Nothing to be worried about if that is it. The other thought is that the seals on the crank on either side of the rotary gear have gone bad and there is oil leaking into the engine from there. That would be a big issue. Not really sure how to know if that is it. Neverhad that issue before but have had the slow leak plenty of times. Have had hydrolocked motors because of it.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevend135 View Post
    Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 95 seadoo spx. I checked the compression it was 155 152. When we started it up it was leaking oil out of the exhaust and smoking.
    What would cause this?
    It is owned by a instructor of mine at school, he said he would have it looked at. Just curious to where it was coming from and why?
    thanks
    The excess oil could be from previously fogging the engine too. It really needs water testing to confirm correct operation.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The excess oil could be from previously fogging the engine too. It really needs water testing to confirm correct operation.
    That would be nice to do, have to wait for spring since it's froze over. Ice is starting to melt though. What would happen when you would put it in the water?
    thanks

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Just check to see how it runs. If you have oil related problems it will foul a spark plug. Check to see if it gets to max rpms, how the throttle response is, all this stuff will determine if you have carb and other issues. Plus pull the seat after a wot pass to see if thre is any water present in the hull. Leaking gakets (especially headpipe) will show up then. Water in hull could be busted hose, WRV on waterbox, or bad driveshaft seal. You'll never know if any of this is wrong by just starting it on the trailer.

BTW...just noticed...welcome to GH!

+1
    Hi, getting back to school this week after spring break and will have a chance to look at the ski again. We decided we are going to hook it up on a hose and run it for awhile and see if the oil stops coming out of the exhaust. If it does let it sit for a day or so then start it up again and see if oil comes out. If it does then I guess it's crank or rotary valve seals?
    When running it on a hose do you, turn ski on first then turn water on and turn water off before turning ski off?
    If it does turn out to be crank seals, what would be a fair price for the ski a 95 seadoo spx/single place shorelandr trailer in pretty good shape?
    thanks

+1
    its probably fogging oil. it will spew out an oily sludge first min or two after first startup.
    you really need to run it in the water for 15 minutes and operate under load to really clean out the system.
    ENGINE ON
    WATER ON
    WATER OFF
    ENGINE OFF
    you can run without hose for 1 minute no problem, so dont panic if the ski is running without water after you start it.
    alsoa few throttle blips after you shut off water will blow most of the water out of the exhaust before you shut down and cover ski.

+1
    dont run on trailer too long, without wetting down the carbon seal on the drivrshaft.
    dumpa cup fowatre ont he carbon seal every 2 minutes if you plan on running longer than that.
    best to remove the grey plastic cover over the driveshaft PTO, to get clear access to the carbon seal to wet it.

+1
    it will do this some times, on all of my 2 stroke ski's that i've owned oil has always came out the exhaust, it's either from the fogging oil or since the oil and gas mix in the combustion chamber not all the oil is burned off thus causing it to come out of the exhaust.hope this helps

the compression numbers sound good also

p.s. great to see another forum member from wisconsin, im up in stevens point(smack dab in the middle)

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    dont run on trailer too long, without wetting down the carbon seal on the drivrshaft.
    dumpa cup fowatre ont he carbon seal every 2 minutes if you plan on running longer than that.
    best to remove the grey plastic cover over the driveshaft PTO, to get clear access to the carbon seal to wet it.
    The 95 skis still had the older greased seals(96's for that matter too), I'm not sure if they are as sensitive to out of water running as carbon seals

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information