Waverunner Cover?

Hey, new owner, new member here. I just got a new to me XLT800. I need to trailer it about 150 miles this weekend and was wondering if I should use the Yamaha fitted cover while traveling or remove it. I'd hate to mar the finish... its in mint condition at the moment. I've already repacked the bearings. Thanks in advance.

Jack

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Its a matter of personal opinion. When I trailered my VX 300 miles I kept the cover off as I did not want any scratches of it rubbing back and worth. I came home and the ski was spotless. I say keep it off!

+1
    I travel with it off normally. I know there was a mod on here of a guy who sewed the inside of the cover with some type of cloth so it wouldn't ruin the finish.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackvt80 View Post
    Hey, new owner, new member here. I just got a new to me XLT800. I need to trailer it about 150 miles this weekend and was wondering if I should use the Yamaha fitted cover while traveling or remove it. I'd hate to mar the finish... its in mint condition at the moment. I've already repacked the bearings. Thanks in advance.

Jack
    Covers off! I used one of these for the last 10 years! Awsome! http://www.blueox.us/Accessories/sportguard.htm

Ed

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52366

it's all a matter of opionion. i keep trailer with mine off. plus, it's nice see the looks you get from people driving next to you on your way to or from the water. why hide it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsnow View Post
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52366

it's all a matter of opionion. i keep trailer with mine off. plus, it's nice see the looks you get from people driving next to you on your way to or from the water. why hide it?

Thats the thread i was talking about. Awesome idea but dont know how to sew.

Thanks!

Excellent feedback guys, and thanks for the link. "Abrasive cover" describes my concern perfectly. I couldn't imagine there wouldn't be rub marks after towing with the oem cover, even though the dealer said it was good to 60 mph. And the other thread has inspired me to at least lay a terrycloth beach towel over the nose when stored under the cover.

Now here's hoping that most of the rocks and salt are gone from the storm this week. I have mudflaps on the truck, but its a 3/4 ton 4X4 so there's still alot of open area.

Words to the wise... don't run over a turtle while towing. Did it once towing my boat. Not pretty!

Thread Information