Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When to rebuild

When to rebuild

Hey guys,

Firstly thanks for all your help you've given me so far. I just got cylinder compression tester today. Checked my compression its as follows 108 110 110. I have 135 hours on the ski and its never been rebuilt. Should I plan to do a rebuild this coming winter?

Cheers
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Hey guys,

Firstly thanks for all your help you've given me so far. I just got cylinder compression tester today. Checked my compression its as follows 108 110 110. I have 135 hours on the ski and its never been rebuilt. Should I plan to do a rebuild this coming winter?

Cheers
    Jason
    personally I would just keep a close eye on the comp. Maybe every 5 to 8 hours, just do a comp check. any loss in numbers should be a good indication of failure onset. Get a couple of head gaskets, pop the head off at 160 hours and check inside, if all good, new gasket and away ya go again. maybe do same at 200.

the real thing to do at 150 hours is the carbs (its a carbed ski??)

+1
    you have good steady compression all the way across. i see no need for rebuild yet. however you compression is a lil low. the ideal stock comppression for years models 03-04 1300 is 120-120-115 at sea level, The 05 and up 1300 is 5 psi. higher. also your gauge might be off depending on what gauge you use and are you pinning the throttle when you test? and is your battery fully charged? all these factors play a role in compression accuracy. but for the mean time you'll be fine. as far as rebuilding in the winter....if you have the money and time then do it. there's no better time to get to know your ski inside and out than winter.

Sorry guys forgot to mention I have a GP1200R PV. Might just do the carbs then. I feel like taking something apart over winter and rebuilding something. Part of the reason I bought the ski was to learn to do a few things

JasonX, What year GP1200R you running? I have 2- 2000's and am getting ready to do rebuilds on both. They both have over 240 hrs on them. Have not done anything to them yet, all stock. Getting ready to do the top end and rebuild carbs. Not really interested in doing any mods as of right now.

Alltezza01,
    Do you know what compression i should have on a 2000 GP1200R PV?? I know that one of the skis is in diare need of a top end. Middle Cylinder has 0 compression. and the other ski has 115, 90, 110 frnt to rear. Seems to run fine but doing top end as well. Also rebuilding carbs on both skis. Cannot believe i have gotten over 240 hrs on both and not had any problems til last year.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chobes View Post
    JasonX, What year GP1200R you running? I have 2- 2000's and am getting ready to do rebuilds on both. They both have over 240 hrs on them. Have not done anything to them yet, all stock. Getting ready to do the top end and rebuild carbs. Not really interested in doing any mods as of right now.
    Dont do a new top end on a 240 hour crank. May as well go all the way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Dont do a new top end on a 240 hour crank. May as well go all the way.
    +1 240 hours on a crank is a lot. and with compression like that you really dont need to be running the skis. you could damage something.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chobes View Post
    Alltezza01,
    Do you know what compression i should have on a 2000 GP1200R PV?? I know that one of the skis is in diare need of a top end. Middle Cylinder has 0 compression. and the other ski has 115, 90, 110 frnt to rear. Seems to run fine but doing top end as well. Also rebuilding carbs on both skis. Cannot believe i have gotten over 240 hrs on both and not had any problems til last year.
    no i don't. PM RX951 he will know for sure.

+1
    A 2000 should be 120lbs across all three. Gauges vary allot. Dont sweat it as long as the three are so close and you are getting good performance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information