higher boost P-X's...chime in

Hey guys

I blew the head gasket on my RXP-X w/3mm SC wheel, Rotax 8800, 60lbs injectors....etc

After some researching it is look like the X boat has common head gasket issue

I Wonder what head gasket and head studs u r using on ur higher boost RXP-X's? some ppl use NEW head studs other use ARP head studs?

Thanks in advance

+1
    How much boost are you getting out of that beast @8800?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    How much boost are you getting out of that beast @8800?
    13.5psi@8700

+1
    Seen a couple stock ECU, big charger Xs pop the gasket. We replaced with new gasket and ARP studs torqued to 85 and never had a problem since.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the stretchy bolts keeping clamp pressure on the head. Regardless of the stretch value or equal torque whats to keep it from continuing to stretch or flex during heat cycles? I'm sure they are OK for some but my money is on the nonspringy ARP hardned studs.

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Seen a couple stock ECU, big charger Xs pop the gasket. We replaced with new gasket and ARP studs torqued to 85 and never had a problem since.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the stretchy bolts keeping clamp pressure on the head. Regardless of the stretch value or equal torque whats to keep it from continuing to stretch or flex during heat cycles? I'm sure they are OK for some but my money is on the nonspringy ARP hardned studs.

JMO.
    Thanks Duke

+1
    Also, Check the head surface, it may need cut. If you skip this part, you may just blow another head gasket. You need to pull the intake valves to cut the head, so have someone do it that knows what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Also, Check the head surface, it may need cut. If you skip this part, you may just blow another head gasket. You need to pull the intake valves to cut the head, so have someone do it that knows what they are doing.
    Got it

Do all RXPs from previous years use the same style Bolts to hold the head or is this something new on the P-X??

+1
    The Rotax ECU does not help either. It has no knock sensor so if your detonating the ECU will not pull timing and a blown head gasket is the result. I got rid of my Rotax ECU for that reason you would might be better off with a Riva or Seadoo Centre ECU.

Thread Information