Yahama 4 stroke engine longevity

New guy here........I currently have a 06 VX deluxe, love the machine but looking for something with alittle more zip. I found a 06 FX HO in really good shape but the engiine has 300 hours on it. That seems like alot of time for a engine. My question...what is the longevity of this Yamaha 4 stroke motors? I plan on keeping the VX for my wife. Thanks Much.

+1
    As long as it has been looked after, 300 hours is not alot for an FXHO, some go into thousands of hours.
    Good service history is a must & looking at general condition of ski should give you a clue. Get someone who has experiance working on them to look it over.
    I have 150 hrs on my 07......it gets ridden hard but is looked after like a baby...hasn't missed a beat yet!

+1
    With so many skis available with low hours why consider a ski with 300 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    With so many skis available with low hours why consider a ski with 300 hours?
    Price of $4000.00 from the dealer

Dealer says no one will buy a ski with that many hours on it in our area. Thats the reason the price is so cheap.

+1
    Tom,. Where in SE wisconsin are you ? Thats a good spring price.

I have to say I would rather have a 300 hour 4 stroke than a 100 hour two stroke.

Those three seaters hold there value so 4K doesnt seem bad. I would have them do a leakdown and compression test.

I'll sell ya my 02 GPR for 4k

Only 58 hours or so

+1
    skis seem to be cheap these days, look around, there are all sorts of skis available with low hours for a low price

with 300 hours everything mechanical has taken a lot of use - pump bearings, intermediate shaft bearings, cables, pump liner, impeller, etc.

+1
    that is not bad at all, 300 hours, but hay, offer around 3200 cash or walk, in todays economy, im sure you will get it, it may take you walking out the dorr to get you back, but shoudl work. i know skis that have 1200-1500 hours and run great. THE KEY FACTOR!!!! KEY FACTOR is how it was cared for and maintained. like mine has oil changes every 25 hours..while yammie say 100 is suggested. air filters changed about 60 hours, thats just me.. garage kept, engines cleaned, sprayed, wiped down, waxed, inspected, lubed, and on and on....i have 165 hours on my vx now, went across hoover dam recently, police inspectors asked me if this was there first run on water, i said no, 165 hours and year and half ago... they could not believe it... point is, well cared for, 1500 is possible pretty easy...

i also saw an 08 sea doo,on the lake, i swore it had to be 7-8 years old and ran hard,looked bad...i asked teh guy about it, he said it had 50 hours and bought early 08, well left out in sun, on water, weeks on end, run a ground, abused, never washed, i would not have gave 100. for it..looked bad.. so its all about care,

Thread Information