Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

sl 700 limp mode

hi got a sl 700 sl when im using it after a bit it will cut my power down to limp mode if i press the stop button and then restart the ski it will be ok for a while the time scale is always different could be 10 mins could be an hour before it will do it what can be causing this someone said unplug the brown wire out of the black box (heat sensor wire ) its also pre mix dont know if that can be causing problem

its a 1998 polaris slh 700
    it has no mdf just a petrol gauge
    Is it always limiting at about the same RPM

+1
    you need to find out why it is overheating (or at least thinks it is). Pull the thermostat and test in a saucepan. You should see the ohms change when it hits the limit.

Is the engine really hot when it goes into limp mode?

+1
    What year is your PWC,the early SL700 had no limiter,the SLH has a warning light on the MFD and will display what is wrong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    What year is your PWC,the early SL700 had no limiter,the SLH has a warning light on the MFD and will display what is wrong.
    its a 1998 and there is no mdf display only as petrol gauge nothing else i have put a new heat sensor temp lead on it but im going to pull the brown wire out of the black box to see if that helps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    you need to find out why it is overheating (or at least thinks it is). Pull the thermostat and test in a saucepan. You should see the ohms change when it hits the limit.

Is the engine really hot when it goes into limp mode?
    not to sure when it happens im alway out at sea i dont want to pull the seat off just in case a big wave comes next time it happens and im close to the land il have a look

+1
    With no MFD,I think you are dealing with a 97,What are the last 2 numbers of the Hull ID.
    From your description,I think you have an intermitent missfire,have you replaced the spark plugs,trimmed the plug wires and inspected the plug wires and coil for cracks?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    With no MFD,I think you are dealing with a 97,What are the last 2 numbers of the Hull ID.
    From your description,I think you have an intermitent missfire,have you replaced the spark plugs,trimmed the plug wires and inspected the plug wires and coil for cracks?
    sorry it is the 97 before i bought the bike it was ment to have had new starter motor and a new coil, new plugs im new to this is the coil the bits that are on top of spark plugs and go int the black box

+1
    hi i have been told it could be my cdi unit i have been told to take the grey wire out of the black box could this be correct

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dixon0001 View Post
    hi i have been told it could be my cdi unit i have been told to take the grey wire out of the black box could this be correct
    The grey wire tells the CDI to limit RPM. If you disconnect it, and the RPM is no longer limited, then something is telling the CDI to limit.

You should find the reason the grey wire is telling the CDI to limit, and correct that. Then reconnect the grey wire.

You can find diagnostics in the Polaris Service manuals, which can be found here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dixon0001 View Post
    On PWC with a trouble limiter=limp mode (low oil,low fuel,over heat)According to the wire diagram it appears it would have a second grey wire connecting to tan or pink circuits,usually at the circiut board.

Your 97 700 has no such limiter,only a warning buzzer.You only have an over rev limiter(approx 7200 rpm) It is possible if any of your wires in the electrical box were grounding out,pinched-cut-bair wire.

I would start with the basics,spark plugs=even a new plug could be damaged,
    The plug boot (snaps onto the top of the spark plug) make sure it is in good shape.Plug boot twists onto the end of the spark plug wire,it could have a bad connection,remove the boot-trim the plug wire 4-5mm - twist the boot back on.
    Make sure the insulation on the plug wire is not cracked-burnt-worn throughThe plug wire runs into the elctrical box-where it attaches to the ignition coil,make sure the coils housing isn't damaged-cracked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information