+1

Open Loop - Stock Class Legal???

Hi Guys,

I was reading the rule books IJSBA & APBA and both have the same wording for stock class 4-stroke cooling sytems.

6.4.5 Cooling system may be modified or aftermarket. Aftermarket cooling lines and water bypass systems may be used. Additional cooling supply lines and fittings may be added to the pump. Fittings may not be added to the cylinder head, cylinder, or crankcase. Bypass fittings may be modified, aftermarket and/or relocated but must be directed downward and/or rearward so as not to create a hazard for other riders. Any valves used within the entire cooling system must be of the fixed type or automatic (e.g., thermostats, pressure regulators, etc.). Electronically controlled water injections systems are not allowed unless originally equipped. Manually controlled devices (by any means of actuation) that alter the flow of cooling water during operation are not allowed. Cooling system flush kits are allowed.

Question: Does this mean that I can put an open loop system on my stock class RXP-X and still be stock class legal?

And... If it is legal can anyone out there tell me from experience if there are any REAL gains to be had by putting an open loop sytem onto a stock boat?

+1
    Putting an Open Loop cooling system on a X is legal for stock class. Not sure of the gain since when I did mine from Seadoo Centre I had added a bunch of other things as well.

+1

Open loop cooling

If I understand it correctly the open loop helps maintain engine temperature on a modified motor by running fresh water through it, but I am thinking that a basically stock motor probably doesn't really need it and really wouldn't benefit from it.
    Thoughts anyone?

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    i would get it clarified before doing it but it will reduce weight a little and colder engines make moe power so i would do it if legal but want to check with an official first.

+1
    It's legal, Deans team had it all season last yr.

a stock motor will run faster with a thermostat, cloosed loop makes the engine run to rich on a stock motor. You will loose all of your gain by running colder.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPRacer513 View Post
    a stock motor will run faster with a thermostat, cloosed loop makes the engine run to rich on a stock motor. You will loose all of your gain by running colder.
    Im not a racer BUT if you adjust your water to the optimal temp then you should not lose any gains..Matter of fact in hotter weather you should be able to pick up gains over a closed loop being you can adjust the water to cool the motor better...

+1

Open Loop Cooling

So if the optimum engine temperature is 180 degrees and the boat has no mods other than a remapped 8400 ECU then I guess it's best to stick with the stock thermostat and the closed loop for stock class racing?

I think finding optimal temp is going to take alot of testing to see where your max gain and loss would be. I think it would be easier to just use the rotax racing thermostat, they are the engineers, that can't be that far off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Pig View Post
    So if the optimum engine temperature is 180 degrees and the boat has no mods other than a remapped 8400 ECU then I guess it's best to stick with the stock thermostat and the closed loop for stock class racing?

I guess that is IF your engine is acually running 180 degrees...Being your in Canada...I dont see it being a situation were you would see very many gains from open loop unless your looking to do a ridelate mod..And even then I would concider going with a heat type exchanger instead of open loop..Matter of fact going open loop up there might even hurt you some instead of help you if you couldnt get the engine temps up....

Thread Information