Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2008 250X - right Ski for me?

Typical noob thread...

In the market for two new (preferably leftover 08s) Skis. I have been in love with the 250X since it came out (hell it has more HP than my car!) - and spoke with a dealer today that it selling two leftover 08s (Green/white) at $9,999/each. Also, a tandem trailer at $1,799. Total OTD the cost came to $25,375. So I am looking for owner/expert opinion on what you think of it all.

Why I like the 250X - Firstly, design. It is the cleanest Ski on the market IMO (I plan on removing all vinyls, minus 250X, Kawasaki and Supercharged logos.) Secondly, performance. 250 supercharged ponies doesn't sound bad, nor does 0-30 in 2 seconds! It seems like a PWC that I could grow into and have fun with without it becoming outclassed or obsolete.

I am not looking at doing any kind of competetion (at the moment) - but I do plan on logging a lot of hours, both ocean and lake.

I am seeing a lot of red flags for these skiis though - they seem extremely high maintainence (oil, clamps, belts, plugs, paint?, etc) - so Im not sure if this is like buying a Ferrari and then realizing at my first service interval the cost of ownership is wrapped up in maintaining the damn thing vs driving it. I want a USEABLE, fast, good looking set of jet skiis that I can keep for a while (4-5 years) and wont become too obsolete.

I am willing to do the plugs at 20hrs, oil changes at 10Hrs, etc, but I am not looking forward to having it strand me a few trips into ownership. Are there things I should have addressed by the dealer before I take delivery? Is the price fair or too high for leftover inventory with the economy the way it is. Whats your take on the whole situation?

And no.. I will not be towing them with my S2000. :P

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

I love mine and its a great value for the $$ compared to the other perfomrance pwc out there since they sell for a few K more typically.

They are thirsty though, that is the only downside. To me not a big deal but to some it may be more of one.

But imo 10K each is way too much especially with all the upgrades to the 09s. I bought my new 08 Last fall for $8700. If you are buying two I would say no more than 20K with the trailer out the door.

+1
    Price seems a little high.

New 07's are going for ~$8400 and 08's for ~$9000.

There are some other threads on pricing here and in the general Kawi forum.
    My dealer in East TN still has 4 07's left and plenty of trailers.

Good luck and hope you can work something out.

Thanks for both your replys. I am scowering the internet for good deals. Any more insight/opinions appreciated

Soooooon...

Here are my thoughts just before I head for the snow (the only kind of skiing I can do right now):

Yes, they are like owning a Ferrari except they are more expensive and you cant get parts. And they are all like that. At least thats what you tell yourself knowing its better to be pleasantly surprised than sorely disappointed. And knowing that an RXP-X smoked a Ferrari 40 GT something or other last year.

But its not just the ski. You need the right gear if youre on the ocean. But you live in Tampa, so thats probably a pair of extra shorts 11 months a year! But a bilge pump might be a good idea. And a battery tender to keep batts charged.

Getting stranded? Always possible. But thats why you carry the cell and VHF. If you ride with 2 Ultras, make your spouse or child or buddy pack a tow bar with 25 or more feet of towrope in that huge front storage (you dont want your own ride bow heavy). Carry strobes and flares.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    Price seems a little high.

New 07's are going for ~$8400 and 08's for ~$9000.

There are some other threads on pricing here and in the general Kawi forum.
    My dealer in East TN still has 4 07's left and plenty of trailers.

Good luck and hope you can work something out.
    The dealers in our area are always higher in price. Our skis are lined with gold.

In case you are interested in used, here is an ebay ad for two 07s and a trailer. Ends in 2hrs...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-2...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks for the heads up. I saw those yesterday, but I have decided I want new. I just want to make sure they're broken in and maintained correctly.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RNYE View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I saw those yesterday, but I have decided I want new. I just want to make sure they're broken in and maintained correctly.

I luv my 07,

But do your self a BIG favour BUY A 260X,

unless you pay 7k each out the door ,
    Save up for the 260's

It WILL be way better in every aspect......People can argue all they like

07/08 was the testing years (I knew that when I brought mine)
    09 will be the ski to own , especially being you want to keep for a long time.
    Shit I am a mechanic and just thinking about keeping my ski for 4 years make me consider trading up, It wont happen, I will die with the 07 as no one wants them, I will just end up turning it into a race ski only....

Others people who ask the same ??? here will listen to the bullshitting dealers about the GIO is a mith

You put one of the KAWI warranty clerks on the Stand in court and ask them again about GIO,Cracking hulls,Pump bearings bet they wont denie it then , bet my left 1, they will tell the truth then

If you cant see a pattern form than please dont complain WHEN it happens

Best of luck with your choice

Waz

PS I am on your side

Rick,

I imported an 08 250X to Australia - Blue (no Blue's exported to Aus). I purchased for $8600 US mid July 2008 so the price you are getting quoted is a litte high.
    The 08 model had all of the 07 warranty issues rectified so to date no dramas with mine.

Enjoy,

Joe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information