Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Thumbs up Using a PET 2100 tach on a SHO/FZR/FZS

I know the guys with the SHO/FZR/FZS are using the analogue tack for info this is not the best instrument for info. I desided to try to hook up my pet 2100 tack and since there is no sparkplug wire to wrap the pickup wire around I desided to figure out how to make the pet 2100 work. Here goes I took the coil pack off the head and wraped the pickup wire MID way around the sparkplug boot 3 rounds and tied the wire just like you do in a plug wire and pushed the whole boot back in head and let the pickup wire come out of the top of the plug hole in the head, The rubber boot that seals the coil pack to the head is flexable enought to not pinch the wire. Instaled the two coil bolts back in head set the pet tack to the correct program for a 4 cylinder 4 cycle and started the ski in the shop and it works just fine. Since this is a digital tack with a memory of max rpm's it will be much more accurate than the OEM analogue tack. With the ECM so complex with boost limitation and it's Fly by wire throttle devices you need to be accurate on you rpm's, This is a must have tuning aid when you are trying to pitch a prop just right at the edge of the ecm limiter.
    It's a shame yamaha did not put a digital tack on there Like the doo's have! Now when I finall do get my mess back together and in the water I can get the exact rpm's I need instead of guessing with the oem analogue tack. I truly don't see how you guys that have been testing the SHO know what rpm's you have with the POS oem tack. Tommy Jordan

+1

+1
    excellent info. A very important tuning tool we GPR guys are so well familiar with!! Thanks Tommy !

I see alot of the basic GPR tuning modifications, hull tuning, bulletproof modifications, and tuning skills be carried over to this craft as well.

Whats next tommy?

Pump shoe sealing?
    Ride plate measurement
    Intake grate measurement
    Air intake mods for more boost
    Thermostat
    Impeller measuring, pitching tuning to tailor RPMs in proper powerband

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    I tried the exact same thing and it would only read half the RPM using the '4-stroke, 4 cylinder ' code.....what code did u use?

I went to return the PET tach back to Riva and Dave B. told me that it wouldn't work with the SHO/FZR.....but there is a tach available from Yamaha (that was given to Riva R&D) that will remember max RPM limit.......waiting to hear back from em as they are ordering some from Yamaha.....

If u got it to work...gratz.......wonder what i did wrong cuz i made sure that tach was on 4-stroke, 4-cylinder setting.......

How big is the difference in reading from the stock tach to your pet 2100 tach?

+1
    I am assuming setting 22:44 is what Tommy used according to the chart below

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...light=pet-2100

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post

Thats the code i used and i was reading 50 percent on the RPM's,,,,,,,,,,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    Thats the code i used and i was reading 50 percent on the RPM's,,,,,,,,,,
    I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. I didn't try with my PET tach, but I got a good signal with my old tiny tach doing it the same way Tommy did.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I know the guys with the SHO/FZR/FZS are using the analogue tack for info this is not the best instrument for info. I desided to try to hook up my pet 2100 tack and since there is no sparkplug wire to wrap the pickup wire around I desided to figure out how to make the pet 2100 work. Here goes I took the coil pack off the head and wraped the pickup wire MID way around the sparkplug boot 3 rounds and tied the wire just like you do in a plug wire and pushed the whole boot back in head and let the pickup wire come out of the top of the plug hole in the head, The rubber boot that seals the coil pack to the head is flexable enought to not pinch the wire. Instaled the two coil bolts back in head set the pet tack to the correct program for a 4 cylinder 4 cycle and started the ski in the shop and it works just fine. Since this is a digital tack with a memory of max rpm's it will be much more accurate than the OEM analogue tack. With the ECM so complex with boost limitation and it's Fly by wire throttle devices you need to be accurate on you rpm's, This is a must have tuning aid when you are trying to pitch a prop just right at the edge of the ecm limiter.
    It's a shame yamaha did not put a digital tack on there Like the doo's have! Now when I finall do get my mess back together and in the water I can get the exact rpm's I need instead of guessing with the oem analogue tack. I truly don't see how you guys that have been testing the SHO know what rpm's you have with the POS oem tack. Tommy Jordan
    +1 I think its worth a try..

+1

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post

I must comfess I had my pet 2100 on my other ski at the other shop I was using a comp u tack which is just like a pet 2100 in the way it hooks up and I used the 4 cycle mode for it and it works fine, You may have to try diffrent settings to get the pet 2100 to work at correct rpms. I will how ever go to the other shop and get my pet 2100 and be sure I am correct in what I post. I did not mean to mislead any of you, Tommy Jordan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information