Drive shaft noise

Hello I am a newbie to the PWC world so pardon my "greeness". I Just bought a 1996 770 Tiger Shark that I hope will run. Compression checked out good and it kicked over so I am assuming all is good with the engine. However, there is a loud noise that sounds like it is coming from the drive shaft. When I kick it over with the starter it has a clink clank sound aft of the engine. Wondering if I should start by taking off the drive shaft and checking all the bearings. Is there a bearing or part that fails often in the drive shaft assembly that causes these symptoms? Thanks in advance.
    Rob

Tigershark u know u want 1 cucchiara3000's Avatar
    yep, check the bearings in the jet pump. Don't ride it until you've checked them. Normally you would want to change them every season depending on how much you ride it. Welcome to the forum!

yea check the bearings first. If they look good you might want to look into your pump. somthing could be loose or rubbing back there too. keep us updated with what you find.

Appreciate the feedback

cucchiara3000 and burton9010 thanks for the feedback. I am hoping to start tearing into it this weekend. Just received the service manual yesterday. I noticed the exhaust tail pipe had a lot of gummy residue around the inner wall of the pipe. Is it common for the tail pipe to get a build up of what appears to be oil?

yes that oil build up is common on a lot of skis. it may be the brand of oil they used. a better quality oil means a cleaner burning engine. on the pump noise, you might check the coupler at the rear of the engine. I have seen the driveshaft and coupler strip the splines out and it makes a terrible grinding noise. good luck

I have used shark parts once you find out the problem.

Hello what do you have in the way of drive shaft bearings and impellar bearings.

Well I found out tHat the imepellar had come detached from the drive shaft and was rubbing against the wear ring. No serious damage to the wear ring. However I need new bearings from the impellar to the back of the engine. The drive shaft took a little bit of a beating from rubbing against the floating bearing. Not sure if should be concerned with this? Would a misalighned engine cause this?

Tigershark u know u want 1 cucchiara3000's Avatar
    I'm not 100% sure on what you mean. but a mis aligned engine can cause the shaft to not spin straight and maybe the impeller caught the wear ring and loosened up. But so can a blown out bearing in the pump. As far as the drive shaft, take some pics and post them up.

Did the driveshaft come out of the fromnt of the impeller? If so then the engine had to of slid forward. Check the engine mounts to be sure the engine can not tork up and pull the shaft forward.

Other possible causes would be the bearings have failed in the pump housing and the impeller is not being held where it should be.

Thread Information