Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Leaking GPR! HELP PLEASE!!!!

Hey Guys,
    I have an 01 gp1200r that is taking on water. I have read many threads on here regarding leaks but still can't find where it's getting in. Filled the hull with water, no water running out anywhere. Seems to be no leaks on any hoses either.Do these leak around the intermediate bearing at all? This seems like my last option. Any help would be much appreciated.

+1
    Yes it could

+1
    Did you check to see if the water in the hull is warm? If the water is warm it could be a water leak from the cooling system somewhere...

Also, did you fill the water up enough to check the rear exhuast through hull gasket? That is where I found my last hull leak...

Good Luck
    Doug

+1
    welcome Danno...read my thread about water leaks...http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44049

Talking

You might want to check the hose that mates from the tunnel to the midshaft housing located under neath the battery tray. Their are two hose clamps or the hose could be ruptured. Also midshaft housing might be letting in some water, you would have to remove the coupler cover to view it when you have the ski in the water.

Thanks guys,
    Great post woody! Water IS a little warm in the hull. Can't find any leaks though. Will take it down to the water tomorrow and check it right out.

Doug,
    Yep filled water over the exhaust outlet level. No leaks there! At least that eliminates that one hey!!!

Thanks
    Dan

+1
    There are DOZENS of places for water to leak, both from the hull and the engine. It took me a year and a half to finally track down a terrible leak to a hole in a high pressure water line. It's a pain, and you might have to rip half the ski apart to find it. Good luck.

Soap!!!! liquid!

+1
    there are 2 kinds of leak, static and dynamic. A static leak is one that will let water into the hull when the engine is not running in the water. This includes thru hull fittings, cooling hoses that run below the waterline, bad bilge pump installs, etc. The easiest way to check for these leaks is to fill the hull as high as you can with water without drowning the battery, getting above carb level, exhaust level, etc. Then crawl around and look for leaks under the boat.

The other leak would be a dynamic leak, which means water is being forced into the hull via the cooling system. Any hose on the supply side of the cooling water is subject to this and to a point, on the exhaust side of the cooling system. There are 2 ways to check this, one is to hook up to a flush hose while the engine is running and looks for leaks. The best way is to strap the boat down on a trailer and back it into the water , start it up and start revving the thing to put some pressure to the system. then you will find a dynamic leak, keep an eye on the exhaust gaskets and cooling system intake hoses.

good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information