Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

FZR First Ride Impressions (Oldman's FZR)

This weekend Bob and I beat on the skis a good bit, my RXP-X and his new virgin FZR. Just so you Yami newbs don't think im biased, I bought one of the first GPR's in 2000 and owned it for 8 years modding it to the teeth short of porting and boring the cylinders. I love Yamaha's

The FZR is an awesome ski, fo SHO. Oldman's (Bob) ski ran strong. Myself and his son got best of 68.8 and 68.9 respectively stretched out in superman. My run with trim one click up, Mike's at neutral. Very strong Ski had around 1.7 hours on it. With more break-in there may be more speed.

Big thanks to Bob for his generosity this weekend. He has been around speed all of his life and really eats this stuff up. Class act!

I'll try to throw in a brief comparison to others skis and the RXP-X, since that has been a big point of debate recently.

Hull - VERY good in rough/chop water. The design of the hull and the massive intake opening provide for excellent hook up and confidence inspiring WFO throttle through chop. Much better than an RXT and RXP-X, hands down.

While really nimble for its size, you can still feel the length of the hull. It's not as nimble as an RXP. It has to be compared to the 3 seaters in terms of that.

Handling is good as well. For a 133 inch hull turn-in reponse is quite good as is turning radius. The ski does like to roll into turns, similar sensation to riding a motorcycle. The hull is very forgiving when turning hard in choppy water as well, an area I feel the RXT and RXP suffer, they are skittish where the FZR is calm and composed. However, the RXP and RXP-X I feel, turn harder, rail harder, and grab the water better. So while I have more confidence in the FZR hull railing in rough water, the RXP-X makes its cuts harder and gives that stronger sensation of G-force.

Motor/Power - Initial bottom end hit is very good, but I feel the motor starts breathing hard after 50. As Jerry said, a little underpowered. Acceleration isn't as good as an RXP-X but I think better than an RXT and Ultra250, so very strong, yes. Top-speed is strong as I said earlier. It's only a hair slower top-end over an RXP-X but that doesnt really tell the story of the power/powerband. The RXP-X as we know has a massive waterbrake of a stock intake grate and it feels like the ski is pulling JAWS. The X ski gets to top-speed faster than the FZR and pulls harder from top to bottom, it simply has more power and it is noticeable.

Fit/Finish - Typical Yamaha here, no doubt. Better than my X ski for sure. Paint is better, materials are nicer/harder. Again classic Yamaha!

Overall, I am very impressed with the FZR. It is just a great ski no matter how you slice it. Certainly lives up to hype! In regards to what is better, it or an RXP-X, the answer for many is going come down to personal preference. If you want a fast ski for rough water, dont mind the size, but also want a more 2 seater like nimbleness, the FZR is for you. If you want the hardest turning, fastest, most powerful ski on the market in the smallest/lightest hull available and are okay with a semi skittish hull, not having the ultimate rough water boat and it being ski that demands your full attention the RXP-X is for you. If I lived on a big lake or at the ocean the FZR would be my weapon. But for a semi big lake where conditions are never that rough the RXP-X is my weapon of choice because the disadvantage of skittish rough water handling and lack of hook-up don't come into play that often.

My perfect stable would be an RXP-X and an FZS. If you need 3 seats, the FZS is going to be the best ski on the market hands down. No reason to even consider anything else.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Here are some pics from riding.

Two beautiful skis! Thanks for the report and good to see both of you having fun on them! Let the rivalry begin!!!

Thanks for the pics and your observations. I have been going back and forth for awhile trying to settle between the fz or px. Your info gets me closer to finnally figuring it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    Thanks for the pics and your observations. I have been going back and forth for awhile trying to settle between the fz or px. Your info gets me closer to finnally figuring it out.

Glad I could help. I really tried to hit on all aspects. FZR and RXP-X will certainly suit 2 different types of riders.

+1

FZR

great post and awesome infomation thank you,

I have bought the FZR should have it in two weeks and your post helps a lot,

I do lot of riding in rough water!!! and all the info you have posted has been great .

if i can get it to go 75mph i would be stocked , im sure with a few mods shou;ld get there.

i feel with a ECU . prop . intake should wake it up a little and air filters

thanks again on your feed back on the FZR

Cheers
    Tony

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Two beautiful skis! Thanks for the report and good to see both of you having fun on them! Let the rivalry begin!!!
    +1.....

...nice write up M

Awesome write up do and from my experience on the two ski's your pretty much spot on..

I hope to see some on the lake this yr!

+1
    Excellent report
    thanks for sharing.

+1
    great post! let us know if you have any other observations or videos racing the rxt-x hehe id love to see them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information