Spring tuning help

Hi guys.. I am trying to get get ready to spring tune the skis and need some help making sure I have everything. Here are my projects and questions..

2000 XLL1200 - 100 hrs
    1) New impeller. I have the impeller and impeller tool that came with it, but is there another tool I need?? Shaft holder or somthing? And do I need to change any berrings or is everything reusable if there were no noticable problems when I put it away last year. Stored in heated shed - never below 45 degrees
    2) 5* Nozzle... Should not need anything but some JB Weld for the visibility spout
    3) New Rideplate and intake grate brass insert replacements (solid flat from Island Racing)... What is the best way to get the goop off the inserts?? Torch? How much heat to apply?
    4) I want to pull and clean the carbs, but a bit worried about my inexperience. If I do, what parts will I need to replace?? Is there a kit?
    5) Shim rideplate - washers go in the back.. right?

99 GP760
    1) I want to pull and clean the carbs, but a bit worried about my inexperience. If I do, what parts will I need to replace?? Is there a kit?
    2) Shim rideplate - washers go in the back.. right? Need less bouncing.

As always.. THANKS!!!

+1
    see below
    Quote Originally Posted by kaarona1 View Post
    Hi guys.. I am trying to get get ready to spring tune the skis and need some help making sure I have everything. Here are my projects and questions..

2000 XLL1200 - 100 hrs
    1) New impeller. I have the impeller and impeller tool that came with it, but is there another tool I need?? Yes the driveshaft holder Shaft holder or somthing? And do I need to change any berrings or is everything reusable if there were no noticable problems when I put it away last year. Stored in heated shed - never below 45 degrees
    2) 5* Nozzle... Should not need anything but some JB Weld for the visibility spout
    3) New Rideplate and intake grate brass insert replacements (solid flat from Island Racing)... What is the best way to get the goop off the inserts?? Torch? How much heat to apply? Try to remove without heat first. If you have to heat it wait till it smokes a little then try and pry it off.
    4) I want to pull and clean the carbs, but a bit worried about my inexperience. If I do, what parts will I need to replace?? Is there a kit? If the carbs have not been done yet rebuild them they are 8 years old now. If you are uncomfortable doing the work send them to Osidebill or Carl @ Island racing
    5) Shim rideplate - washers go in the back.. right? Possibly both to get more angle you need the front of the plate (nearest to pump shoe) to be as low as possible without being below the pump shoe (so it doesnt grab water)

99 GP760
    1) I want to pull and clean the carbs, but a bit worried about my inexperience. If I do, what parts will I need to replace?? Is there a kit?
    2) Shim rideplate - washers go in the back.. right? Need less bouncing.

As always.. THANKS!!!

Is it ok to leave the stock bearings on when replacing the prop?? I see Island Racing has a replacement set, but they are $130....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kaarona1 View Post
    Is it ok to leave the stock bearings on when replacing the prop?? I see Island Racing has a replacement set, but they are $130....
    The bearings do not come into play when removing the prop. If you have issues with the pump then by all means replace them.

+1
    You will want to rebuild the carbs on that 760 with OEM rebuild kits. I would also recommend that you replace the stock Needles and Seats "Inside" the carbs. You will also need a carb base gasket, zip ties, cleaner of some sort "I use brake parts cleaner" and a 12mm wrench and some side cuts.

I do recommend that you go ahead and install a primer kit and remove the choke plates to get a little more HP. The primer will also save your starter some wear and tear.

M

+1
    Oh yeah...shimming the rear with large "bumper" washers will provide that nose down trim your wanting...but at the cost of top end speed. You can also buy a longer ride plate to help the ski track better and reduce the bouncing

<M

Thanks guys. I think I am going to take the safe route and send the carbs to Osidebill for rebuild.

I need to look into installing the primer kit/block off choke plates. I would like to add it if I can figure out how to install.

Mpeavler - South Bend, IN here.. not too far from Anderson... I used to work a lot in Muncie and actually stay in Anderson once in a while..

+1
    Yep...your just up the road from us a bit. If your not going to do the carbs yourself....and send them to Bill, you can have him install the primer fittings, remove the choke plates etc. It's all pretty basic to do if you have just a slight mechanics hand.

We will ride a lot of near you this summer...since most of the lakes are up north that we visit.

M

Which Driveshaft holder do I need for a XL1200 Ltd? I have a Solas 13/19 repitched to 12/18. I see 3 choices..

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/search.a...veshaft+holder

Thanks

Thread Information