Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1

How often do you check your oil?

Those of you with 4 strokes, how ofter do you check your oil level? Before each ride after warmup or what?

The next best thing to a pat on the Back RXTUSMC's Avatar

Before every ride

Before every ride. Before I leave the house Igo through my little check list.

1. safety gear
    2. Full charge on the Radio and phone
    3. chow, water
    4. check fluids oil & coolant have extra with me.
    5. quick start.
    6. Put drain plugs
    7.check all straps
    8. hook up trailer
    9. check trailer lights
    10. go to gas station.

Before I leave the house and generally after I get back as well.

+1
    when i leave and when i take it out. on some 4 strokes (my fx ho atleast) the oil tends to seep into the pistons and such so if you check the oil before you go, start the jetski and let it run for 1 minute before you check. MY dealer said this was normal.....but im not 100% sure.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Ive heard that it needs to be warm to get an accurate reading, Ive checked my ski every time after I ride and its always in the middle between high and low.

I know the VX 110 motors are dry sump lubercation, so yes you must run the motor about 30 seconds to get an accurate oil level reading. I forgot if the FX HO motors were dry sump lubercation but i am assuming they are.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_time View Post
    I know the VX 110 motors are dry sump lubercation, so yes you must run the motor about 30 seconds to get an accurate oil level reading. I forgot if the FX HO motors were dry sump lubercation but i am assuming they are.
    yup i checked the Marine1 engine (in FX HO) is dry slump. SHO and FZ series is wet slump.

Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    yup i checked the Marine1 engine (in FX HO) is dry slump. SHO and FZ series is wet slump.
    The manual for a FX Cruiser HO says to run it for 6 minutes before checking the oil level. Explain this "wet and dry slump" deal Please...

Quote Originally Posted by pituco View Post
    The manual for a FX Cruiser HO says to run it for 6 minutes before checking the oil level. Explain this "wet and dry slump" deal Please...
    Wow...6 mins seems alittle bit excessive. Wet sump mean that the oil is stored in the sump(oil pan) of the motor. Dry sump means the oil is stored outside the sump (meaning in a bottle outside of the engine and is pumped into the motor for lubercation). Dry sump allows the motor to spin higher rpms since the crank is not "splashing" into the oil. It also aids in cooling the oil. Alot of high performance motors such as the C6 ZO6 corvette run dry sump lubercation. With dry sump you measure the oil level in the bottle outsie the motor where the oil is stored. The reason for starting a dry sump motor first prior to checking the oil level is that when the motor is off and not pumping oil it drains back into the oil pan(sump) of the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by SHO_time View Post
    Wow...6 mins seems alittle bit excessive. Wet sump mean that the oil is stored in the sump(oil pan) of the motor. Dry sump means the oil is stored outside the sump (meaning in a bottle outside of the engine and is pumped into the motor for lubercation). Dry sump allows the motor to spin higher rpms since the crank is not "splashing" into the oil. It also aids in cooling the oil. Alot of high performance motors such as the C6 ZO6 corvette run dry sump lubercation. With dry sump you measure the oil level in the bottle outsie the motor where the oil is stored. The reason for starting a dry sump motor first prior to checking the oil level is that when the motor is off and not pumping oil it drains back into the oil pan(sump) of the motor.
    THANKS.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information