Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

taking the good with the SHITY!

Well I took out the kind of tuned '05 that's been my winter project today and at first I was happy (sort of), I hit 76.5mph on glass with a full tank, it felt great!

THEN, I did some riding, a little jumping (not much,) and just some good fun runs... I had just come down to an ideal from about 45-50mph and was looking around before heading back to the beach. As I gave her some gas, NOT hammering it, to get back to speed, the bitch started vibrating like a cheap HongKong whore! The engine sounded ok but like it was loaded???

So I idealed back to shore (as that was fine.) and called it a day. When it was on the trailer I gave it some gas to see if it was a load issue, nope still acting up with no load??? I pulled the pump; and the prop and pump were looking great! I fired it up (without the pump/shaft in) and she revved fine???

I'm going to put the pump back in and see what happens... There alway a chace the drive home knocked whatever was causing the issue out, but if not it should act up again.

I'm going to check engine allinement, but I find it hard to think that after a day of riding and dropping to an ideal with everthing fine then giving her some gas (slowly) would torque the engine out of alinment, I would think that the jumps/chop/and jsut playing would mess her up before that.

Looks like more updates to come.

Pump went back in and she tunred over and revved without issue??? I'll have to see how it works out in the morning. It's a bit late to fire it up to get a goo test.

Other wise everything looks ok???

Do you recall if the engine chip light came on? If so then see what codes you can pull off the guage. I think your mid range is too lean and the engine has gone into limp home mode, this is really violent with efi models. Othe possibility was a weed lock around the intake. REXA.

Quote Originally Posted by rexa
    Do you recall if the engine chip light came on? If so then see what codes you can pull off the guage. I think your mid range is too lean and the engine has gone into limp home mode, this is really violent with efi models. Othe possibility was a weed lock around the intake. REXA.

That has some real merrit! I remember that I tweeked the EFI controller and may have turned down the EFI (Yellow) dial a bit to try and reduce a bit a smoke...

So here's the $$$ question. If that's a protection feature, what/how much damage could have been done already if/when the ski goes into that mode?

I didn't see any lights/warnings, but it is loud and there's always the chance that I missed it. If it wasn't 3am I would run down and check it out now!

Thanks! I'll post when I figure more out.
    ----------------------
    Also, I just checked the code list and don't see anything that looks like a code I would see??? Do you have code in mind that I'm looking for?

+1
    I think you are worrying about nothing.
    I,m sure it was a bag, weed, small stick etc lodged somewhere.
    It happens often with me while wave jumping.
    It vibrates SO hard, it wont get on the plane, and it feels af if at least 3 mounting have sheared!
    What usually clears it for me, is get the ski going as fast as you can. (this can be 7-10mph with the bad vibration), kill the engine on the button, or pull the lanyard, and coast to a stop, or jump off the ski and grab the back end of it.The sudden stop causes water to backwash into the jet pump, and this is usually enough to move/ clear the oject.
    You wold not think a small bit of plastic/weed etc and 1" square or so would be able to do this to a 170 hp ski, but it does.

+1
    I've done the same thing a few times myself Mongoose. Sometimes, I've just killed the engine and drifted for a minute or two..... cranked it up and good as new.

Trash in the water.....

+1
    scott, go back and re-check ALL of your torque specs just to be safe wihile dealing with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT
    scott, go back and re-check ALL of your torque specs just to be safe wihile dealing with this.
    That was one of the things I did! Everything checked...

I'll let you know if it's not fixed...

As far as trash in the intake, not the case. I checked her at the launch in the water and on the trailer, out of the water, the vibration was still there.

It'll all work out.

Thanks!

+1
    my malibu got a tiny tiny ding on the tip of one blade and it vibrated like a cheap dildo...just a thought

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r
    my malibu got a tiny tiny ding on the tip of one blade and it vibrated like a cheap dildo...just a thought

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information