Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new ski.. slx 780

I picked up another polaris This time it is a 96 slx 780 for a cool 400 bucks, on a trailer. Trailer is not the best but whatever. ski had the seat stolen off it, trim motor, and battery. With a trip to ebay I had a seat, teather, trim motor, 20 ft of new fuel line and a battery..... It came with a new starter and new reeds. guy said they were both bad. so today i hooked up a battery to see why the starter was bad. hit the button and....ziiiiiiing. starter is good bendix is bad. so i pull the front cover off expose the flywheel, and see everything is all rusted. so i drain the fuel pull the tank so i can get a puller on there easily. after a while and some heat, a few taps, flywheel was off. (no POP for some reason, never had that before) Woodruff key was missing for some reason. now for my question. does anyone know how to tear down a bendix to try to clean it up and save the one that is there? (not just to save money but time waiting for parts.)............. off to find the specs to ohm out that stator to make sure she is still good, and start running the new fuel line. and cleaning the carbs, guy claimed they were clean But I want to see for myself.

Thanks, in advance.

+1
    Nice find..

I would put a known good bendix in they are a pain to clean/rebuild and it is also a pain the change..

Thanks for the quick reply beerdart ,....off to ebay I go. Unless someone has one they can part with???

+1
    Check with john zigler I think he is close to you.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Woodruff key was missing for some reason
    got to ask --did you look in/around the flywheel???
    and I have had the No-Pop sound(flywheel) ,,i bet someones been in there
    +1 on the new bendix
    mattman

yeah I looked all over for that key, even took my magnet and checked all over, I got some metal shavings on it and thats about it. Figured it stuck in the flywheel, no luck. I don't understand why it still turned the motor without it. my 650 sheared that key one day and it sure as heck wouldn't spin the motor without it, starter would spin the flywheel but not the motor. (but then again the flywheel was only on there for about a week when it happened)... im getting a bendix from a guy on ebay for 38 shipped....out of a 650 kawasaki but according to the bendix chart it is the same one.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The woodruff key is really just to algn the flywheel properly. The tapered crankshaft is supposded to hold the flywheel on as long as it's torqued to spec.

Nice find by the way...

found the wood ruff key today. up inside the flywheel buried in some metal dust. I tested the stator and my readings are not exactly to spec but close. I used a 40 dollar craftsman meter. Not an expensive fluke but it works well in my opinion. Tell me what you think of these readings, manual says plus or minus 10%. alternator coil should be .6 ohms I got 1.4 trigger should be 220 ohms I got 203.5, pulser should be 90 I got 83.3, exciter should be 490 I got 423. should I use this stator??? I am not even sure if i had spark to begin with because of the bendix issue.

I also discovered the fuse going from red with purple stripe to red with purple stripe was non-existant. some yahoo took it out. Must be why my mfd wasn't kicking on

+1
    sounds like you need a new meter. I have found on mine when you have a problem, it is a coil that is dead short or open. Your numbers are close, but consistently off. I would be more concerned if you had an infinity or a 0.

As for the fuse. Go to Radio Shack and get the 1/4amp fuse. Do not go higher.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Your first reading seems bad to me. I've always had mine measure .6, .7, or maybe.8.

But never a 1.4!!!! According to the specs, that's far from being 10% off.

I wouldn't use it.

You can buy one from someone parting out a 750 or 780, but a 650 won't work.

Or send it to Jetski Solutions and have it repaired.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information