First day on the water! Stall issues?

Took my new skis (gp760 and WVT760) out today and had a blast. They absolutely roared, and the weather cooperated too!

Anyway, my WVT760 stalled out sometimes when taking off. It would idle fine, I'd pull the throttle, and it would either continue idling, or stall. If I eased into the throttle, or pulled the choke first, the ski would completely rip and haul just as fast as my gp760. The ski stalled sometimes when I let off the gas too. The problem got a little worse in rough surf, and seemed to get somewhat better as the ski warmed up. Is this a carb problem? I've got new plugs, new gas, and a new battery.

Still a great day. We stayed out for about 2 hrs in 40 degree water and had a riot. Love these skis.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hot_wire View Post
    Took my new skis (gp760 and WVT760) out today and had a blast. They absolutely roared, and the weather cooperated too!

Anyway, my WVT760 stalled out sometimes when taking off. It would idle fine, I'd pull the throttle, and it would either continue idling, or stall. If I eased into the throttle, or pulled the choke first, the ski would completely rip and haul just as fast as my gp760. The ski stalled sometimes when I let off the gas too. The problem got a little worse in rough surf, and seemed to get somewhat better as the ski warmed up. Is this a carb problem? I've got new plugs, new gas, and a new battery.

Still a great day. We stayed out for about 2 hrs in 40 degree water and had a riot. Love these skis.

I would certainly not keep riding it my friend until you determine why your having possible fuel issues and maybe even seizures taking place. If you've not rebuild the carbs in a while....now is the time to do it. It's possible you have junk in the jets or inside the carbs floating around restricting fuel and or your Needle/Seat is semi plugged up not allowing enough fuel to flow as needed.

IMO I would rebuild the carbs, replace fuel filters etc.

M

Good to know. I won't ride it again until I've got things worked out.

I've never worked on a 2 stroke engine before (usually work on cars) so this carb thing has me confused. Could you point me to a good rebuild tutorial or FAQ? I've found a lot of information in the FAQ section, but I'm really looking for a walkthrough.

Off to buy a can of carb cleaner....

+1
    Take them apart completly....when you clean them out. Check the check valves while your in there also!

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Screw checking the check valves... REPLACE THEM. They come with the rebuild kits. DO NOT buy aftermarket kits. Only buy Mikuni rebuild kits. Also replace the needle, and seat.

Any one of a number of us will be glad to walk you through it.

Can't tell you how happy I am! Both cylinders read 145 for compression. WOOHOO!!

I'm thinking that my next logical step would be to rebuild the carbs. Or, in my case, send them in to OsideBill for the work!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hot_wire View Post
    Can't tell you how happy I am! Both cylinders read 145 for compression. WOOHOO!!

I'm thinking that my next logical step would be to rebuild the carbs. Or, in my case, send them in to OsideBill for the work!
    Yes go throught the carbs is certainly next on the list! If you opt to do them...just take your time.....and all you need is a few phillips screw drivers and time. Watch how they come apart...and put them back in the same manner.

M

Xl760 on the water/ gp760 in shop for paint
    Make sure to check the fuel lines for deterioration and also replace the fuel filter.

Thread Information