Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Poor winter storage prep, what to do in spring?

I stupidly ran out of time last year and rode till the very last day possible, then HAD to get my ski to the storage building before I had time to really do everything i should have done to her. I filled the tank w/premium and add stabil ran it a few times to blast the remaining water out of her and get the stabil gas in there, checked the oil which only had about 7 hours on it, made sure everything was dry and clean, then drove her over the the storage building I kept it in this winter. I know I guess I should have fogged the motor etc etc but because of the arrangments I can't really get to it. Question is what should I now do when I can retieve her? It was kept in the middle area of a building so I know the temp was above freezing etc and she was clean, dry and temp was no lower then maybe 50 degrees max (the other two sides of the building are heated) Do I need to be overly concerned about when I fire it back up? It's a 4 cylinder engine and when you store a car for winter you don't fog the engine do you? any suggestions would be helpful. I know I should have done more and I'm a little sick about it. tell me it'll be OK? Or what i should do to mitigate any possible damage. I do have the GIO kit on mine and drained that canister too before I put it away. Thanks

my only worry would be you did not fog the supercharger it might be stuck. do you ride in salt????

Read this thread on why you should do proper winterizing. Whatever your arrangement was could possibly cost you a boat load of $$.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85591

Then wait for the more experienced posters and techs to tell you what to do.

Yeah I feel pretty stupid but better to ask now than not at all. No salt water at all, only fresh.

Man, Dark Shadows, that thread was like horror show. I will be praying to the ski gods for forgiveness on this one and promise to take better care in the future. It literally went from mid 80's to 40 degrees here in like 3 days and if I didn't get it to storage it would have been outside instead of indoors all winter and once it was there I couldn't get to it to do anymore work. I hope at least since I don't ride in salt water and it was stored inside I have a chance of not having severe damage. This is my first ski and I feel pretty stupid, lesson learned, just hope it doesn't cost me dearly. Any addl insight or advise would be greatly apreciated especially before I try to fire it up. Thanks in advance to all.

C'mon guys, any help from the experts? I could really use some guidance on best way to bring my beast back to life. Am I wrong or does the manual not say anything about spraying down the SC before storage? I was more concerned about the engine but sounds like maybe the SC is a place I should focus? Thanks

OK fine.

If it was me who had done that I would first put my hand on a wooden table and slam it with a large metal mallet.

Truthfully you just need to sray some engine fogging oil down into the charger.

Unplug the spark plug wires and try turning over the motor with just the starter. If its labored sounding or straining then stop and spray some more lube or fogging oil into the charger.

Ideally your trying to aviod scorring of the charger wall just in case corrosion had set in.

Also change your oil & filter and plugs after storage. Dont forget to fully charge the battery too.

You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RG250X View Post
    C'mon guys, any help from the experts? I could really use some guidance on best way to bring my beast back to life. Am I wrong or does the manual not say anything about spraying down the SC before storage? I was more concerned about the engine but sounds like maybe the SC is a place I should focus? Thanks
    well there was your answer, lol.

OK Skips, point taken....thank you for the advise. Trust me, won't leave it this way again. I will do as you suggest. Battery should be good since I was able to get it on the trickle charger while stored. I already have a set of plugs and oil/filter is easy...do I just pull the intake off to the supercharger and do you have any additional tips as to how best get the fogging oil in there the best? Thanks again!

pull the hose off the sc that goes to intercooler , then you can spray the s.c. bump the starter and repeat, 6 to7 times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information