Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAVE Valve Questions

I did a search and couldn't find all the information I was looking for so here goes.

I am rebuilding a 787 engine that will go in a Challenger. I have been collecting used parts from online and locally as the other engine really bit the dust ( holes through cases, jugs, head, etc...really big boom).

I have a collection of two sets of RAVE assemblies both from the 787 and they are different. I would like to know the answers to the following question if you guys can help:

- I have red and green diaphrams and two different stiffness of springs. The stiffer ones were with the red diaphrams and the softer with the green. Is this the correct diaphram / spring match?

- What is the difference between the green and red ones

- I have two different types of blades, one type with the slots, the other without. The one that does not have the slots is a 353 type. I thought that all 353 types have the slots?

- The slots are only there to get the valve to float from the exhaust gases correct?

- One rave valve seems it has some sort of plating on it that is starting to peel off. Is this normal and is it still usable?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The red bellows were more flexible (I'm sure you noticed) and were the first generation bellows. Over time they would get loose and actually blow off the cap. So they made them stiffer (probably softer spring to compensate, because I didn't know there were different tension springs) to prevent this from happening.

The 350's were the first generation unslotted valves. I was under the impression the 353's were slotted? The reason for the slots is because the 96 &97 GSX hulls gummed up quickly, moreso than any other hull. They redesigned them to prevent the gumming, that is the only reason.

When the plating peels off, the clearance between the stem and housing becomes excessive, and the RAVE rattles too much at wot and spews oil. Buying new housings and RAVES corrects the oil puke problem.

+1
    I've only seen 1 rave spring for 90% of skis, now there used to be a high alt rave spring, it was blue and was smaller diameter spring metal and a tad bit longer, I ran them for years and got a tad more quicker hit. I have the part number somewhere but not looking for it at 3am when I'm up with a headache. RQ can IM me and I'll see if I can find the number, wonder if they still make them....

TLR

From what I understand the rave springs that I have here are out of stock 787 boats. The thicker one goes with the red diaphram, the .035 goes with the green one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rave-spring 001.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	120801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rave-spring 002.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	120803  

One last question, is this rave valve still good? Or is too worn? Notice some of the plating peeling off. It also wobbles a bit in the slide. Also take note that this is a 353 WITHOUT slots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rave 002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	339.1 KB 
ID:	120804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rave 003.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	120805  

Whenever I rebuild an engine I always make sure to replace anything I am not totally convinced is in top condition. Also, it's nice to know your engines are symmetrical. I always update my RAVES to the green bellows and make sure the valves themselves are slotted. It's not much money.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The spring tension difference makes perfect sense based on the fexibility of the rubber.

The shaft is where you need to inspect for wear, where it goes through the housing. That little bit on the blade is ok.

Some say the unslotted hit harder. I prefer them, as they don't gum up with Amsoil Dominator oil.

+1
    The thick ones are 800 springs the thin ones are 951 springs

Are you sure, because all the springs came from 787 engines? I guess the previous owner could have swapped them.

800rfi engines changed from gas operated to air operated just like the 951, so that spring might be from one of them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information