99' xl 1200 fuel selector hard to turn again!

Hey fellow tinkerersrrsrrs !!!

This is the 3rd selector I've put on this ski.... anybody got a source for a better valve assy I could put in this ski? I'm tired of losing the little screws in this thing when lubing the thing and am tempted to make my own..... Any recommendations out there ?

Thanks fellas

+1
    The fuel selector is actually one of the first items I ditch as soon as I have gotten every ski I have ever owned... but that's me..

I've really never found a use for it..

+1
    Agreed

I remove mine, if you want to leave it in place for looks simply run a gas line directly from the reserve fitting on the fuel sender to the carbs (and plug off the regular line from the sender)

Hummmmmm

I'll put this out there and yall can tell me if I'm wrong or not... But...

I always shut off the fuel and run the engine till it stops before I secure it for the interim... I just thought that leaving fuel in the carb's was a bad thing....

I'm running premix now and wonder if this is the correct way of doing things.... I secure all of my lawn and tractor equipment the same way and have only had to bother with a carb on them one time.... it was a two stroke 4 wheeler.... This is why I always thought u need the valve to function....

Thanks yall!

+1
    You will find MANY differences in opinions with that one.. Personally, I think the carbs are more prone to internal corrosion when you try to run them dry. Also, you "can" run the motor lean running them out of fuel since the carbs will want to try to suck air as it runs out of gas. But at idle I doubt you'd have any problems.

The way I store my machines is to mix a good fuel stabilizer with what's left in my tank and run it to make sure it makes it through the carbs. Some people even make sure the tank is topped off due to moisture concerns.
    Personally, I think leaving the gas in the carbs is better, especially on a premix machine because the oil will help keep the corrosion away internally.

Running them dry is "old school" and my grandpa used to do it on his boat with no issues either. It works, but not really the "best" way to do things.

Thanks for the input... I agree with what your saying and will change my ways.... makes sense the more I'm here thinking about it....

Thanks Drew !.....

Thread Information