bogging on acceleration 1996 Seadoo GTI

My 96 Seadoo GTI will idle fine, If you hit the throttle, about 2 secs after it starts to accelerate, it bogs out like there is a loss of fuel. If you let off the throttle, it will bog back to an idle, if you stay on the throttle, it will shut off. I have rebuilt the carbs, checked the selector valve, the filter in the fuel tank, replaced fuel hoses and it still does the same thing. Someone mentioned to me today check the CDI. Can the CDI cause the symptoms I am seeing? Help!!!!!! Thanks, Steve

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subsmith View Post
    My 96 Seadoo GTI will idle fine, If you hit the throttle, about 2 secs after it starts to accelerate, it bogs out like there is a loss of fuel. If you let off the throttle, it will bog back to an idle, if you stay on the throttle, it will shut off. I have rebuilt the carbs, checked the selector valve, the filter in the fuel tank, replaced fuel hoses and it still does the same thing. Someone mentioned to me today check the CDI. Can the CDI cause the symptoms I am seeing? Help!!!!!! Thanks, Steve
    Steve - please let me know if someone solves this. I have the same issue with my '96 XP. up to 3/4 throttle it's fine, but the minute I accelerate over 3/4 throttle.

Replaced the fuel lines, fuel float, meter, rebuilt carbs, etc. The only thing I am PLANNING on doing that was recommended to me is changing out the fuel selector lever (main vs. reserve). Not sure how that would help, but it was suggested that I change it out.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Time for a carb cleaning! Im betting the screens in the carbs are plugged. if you have grey tempo lines and has not been serviced for a while...id start there. swap out everything Sammy said above

+1
    The CDI can cause this.

I have seen them do the following:

Start and idle fine-and run through the entire RPM range for 5 minutes, but then...'
    It would start to die (just shut all the way off) above a steadily diminishing maximum RPM. Eventually it would shut off at anything above idle. If it sat for an hour it would run fine and go through the whole thing again. It then got to where it would turn on but only start about every 4th or 5th push of the button.

Swapped out the ECM ('95 XP did not have MPEM) and problem solved.

Another one would run up to speed fine but after about 10 minutes of riding would sputter down and only idle for about 5 minutes and then run back up to speed. The owner checked the entire fuel system, pump (for binding, ect.) water injection, the whole nine yards. Swapped out the ECM (HX had the same system as that XP did) and problem solved.

I am pretty sure that GTI uses the same setup. It has the the gray electrical box with the ECM in it instead of the later type big black MPEM and a black electrical box towards the rear.

If not, I have not seen an MPEM do this.

I would go back to the basics. Run a compression check then to the fire. I would also put a in line fuel filter right before the carbs, I got mine from the lawn mower shop. It needs to be for a fuel pump system. It is alot easier to change the filter than to clean the carbs. Also make sure the stock filter has an o-ring on the top of the bowl, that will let it suck air. The pop off psi on that model is around 25#

I had the exact same problem on my old 1996 GTI it was the fuel selector valve. try taking it out and cleaning it. Before you do this though try running it on reserve and see if that does anything.

i think they pinned the problem, a ski that old............its due for service. check out this http://jetski247.webs.com/seadooowners.htm and it will give you an idea of what they are talking about.

96 Seadoo bogs/won't accelerate

My problem is very similar to a lot of other postings: My 96 Seadoo GTI will idle fine, and will not accelerate It might try for a second, but then it regresses back to an idle. It acts like it's starving for fuel. It used be a bit finnicky (a word?), as you could feather the trottle and it would react about 50% of the time. And, now it's just an idle. I've cleaned the carbs, changed the tiny filter in each carb, changed all the fuel hoses, cleaned out the on/reservse switch, basically cleaned all fuel filters.

If I were to check the fuel pressure, what's the normal PSI? I read 25PSI (via a forum), but that seems a bit high. Also, I assume the fuel pump is the bladder type that's integrated into the side of the carb?

Also, I heard the rotary valve could be the problem?. It pumps the 2-cycle oil into the gas.

Thoughts?

Thread Information