Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1997.5 GSX Limited, Grey Hull, Prop Problems

It has a Rossier Head, flame arrestor and a 14/18 skat trac prop. The problem is, I am not turning the rpms I should. Only hitting around 6100. I am about 400 feet above sea level. It used to run great at sea level, but since then it has started acting up. I have adjusted the jets according to the elevation. Checked RAVE valves, vac. lines, good compression, etc. So my next guess is that the motor cant turn to skat trac. So I am going to try a stock pitched prop.
    Anyone have one I could buy?

Or think of another solution?

+1
    If it's a true 97.5 ski /grey top with the original pump it uses a small hub prop, be sure it's the right prop. 400 ft elv make no change in jetting from sea level, thats not your problem. What size is the carb jetting anyway, we need to know. 6100 rpms is more likely pointing to a rave problem as in not opening up. You can take off the rave tops/springs and run the ski up to WOT and let us know what the rpms are, you might also have a bad waterbox water regulator( looks like a rave on top of it ), too much water = lower rpms too.

TLR

+1
    A pipe flange gasket leak will do the same thing.

It is a true 97.5, The ski used to rip. And I know it is the correct prop.

I was thinking it was the RAVE valves. I have taken out the springs and I even changed the bellows to the green ones. No dice. Still around 6100 rpms

I have never thought of the water box problem. How do you adjust the waterbox "Rave Valve", mess with the RED Capped Screw?

I have taken the exhaust off as well and made sure that there is no leaks and that the pipe is aligned correctly.

Anyone else have other ideas?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Remove the check valve that goes to the RAVES (under the carbs at rear of engine) and spray carb cleaner through it. It could be gummed up.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Remove the check valve that goes to the RAVES (under the carbs at rear of engine) and spray carb cleaner through it. It could be gummed up.
    Yes I have considered that vacuum valve as well. I have REPLACED that with another new one that I had, it still did not fix the problem. Good idea though

+1
    If you replaced the check valve, there is an arrow on it which needs to point away from the engine.

TLR

TLR,

You mentioned the potential waterbox as a source for my problem. That is one thing that I have not checked. Can you tell me how to check to see if the valve on top of the waterbox is faulty or not?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The WRV shouldn't kill your max rpms that much. I would do as TLR instructed and remove the RAVE springs to see if RPMs return. You could also have a faulty solenoid. And you never disclosed wheter you installed the replacement check valve in the correct direction either...

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The WRV shouldn't kill your max rpms that much. I would do as TLR instructed and remove the RAVE springs to see if RPMs return. You could also have a faulty solenoid. And you never disclosed wheter you installed the replacement check valve in the correct direction either...
    As stated above, I did remove the springs and I it did not change the rpm problem. Also, I did replace the solenoid, and unless the original solenoid was installed wrong from factory, I installed the new solenoid in the same (correct) direction.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information