Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    St. Paul MN
    Posts
    290

    Bicycles. Looking at upgrading.

    I have an older road bike that I'm looking to upgrade (parts no longer available). In 1980 (I'm not that old) I bought a road race bike and upgraded a ton of the parts. Now I'm looking to upgrade the bike to a newer technology. I like the Gary Fisher models as well as a couple of the Trek Madone series. I'm looking for a carbon or carbon / aluminum combo with the Bontrager wheels. I'm not going to enter the Tour-de-France, but would like a light weight bike that is not going to make me sell the ski to get it. What are some of you riding for road bikes??

    I have a Haro mountain bike that I never use any more. Not my style.

    Thanks.
    Mac


  2. #2
    gorilla03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    stevens point wi
    Posts
    3,774
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy Racing View Post
    I have an older road bike that I'm looking to upgrade (parts no longer available). In 1980 (I'm not that old) I bought a road race bike and upgraded a ton of the parts. Now I'm looking to upgrade the bike to a newer technology. I like the Gary Fisher models as well as a couple of the Trek Madone series. I'm looking for a carbon or carbon / aluminum combo with the Bontrager wheels. I'm not going to enter the Tour-de-France, but would like a light weight bike that is not going to make me sell the ski to get it. What are some of you riding for road bikes??

    I have a Haro mountain bike that I never use any more. Not my style.

    Thanks.
    Mac

    I say go with a trek...they hold thier value in the long run....I bought a trek mountain bike(best money ever spent)then two years later i had to sell it(due to bills) and sold it for $25 less than what i ended up paying for in the first place!!!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    325
    I wouldn't spend the money on carbon fiber unless you are Lance Armstrong and you better where the outfit as well.

    Carbon fiber wheels and frames chip and fatique quickly, especially when one comes up on an unexpected pothole. Seems to be a lot of money to be out of pocket for just recreational road riding. If you were racing I can see spending the dough for the competitive edge but for just riding around or getting excerise I think the money could be better spent on my Doo. Just my .02

  4. #4
    TJBrad04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Flowery Branch, Ga
    Posts
    281
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I wouldn't spend the money on carbon fiber unless you are Lance Armstrong and you better where the outfit as well.

    Carbon fiber wheels and frames chip and fatique quickly, especially when one comes up on an unexpected pothole. Seems to be a lot of money to be out of pocket for just recreational road riding. If you were racing I can see spending the dough for the competitive edge but for just riding around or getting excerise I think the money could be better spent on my Doo. Just my .02

    x2

    i love my cannondales, i think they do aluminum better than anyone else out there.

  5. #5
    I love my Bianchi ELOS. I got one of the last ELOS frames from their race warehouse and love it. Can't beat a nice light chrome moly steel frame for recreational road riding. They are a bit heavy by todays standards but the ride is superior to these light rigid racing rigs they make today. As you may know, the right / light wheels and groupo are the most important to an experienced rider. I have an Ultegra groupo on mine and love it, best bang for the buck unless you want to spend mega bucks on the top of the line. I don't ride much anymore but when I do, I love this bike. If I were you though I would look at a titanium frame if you can afford it, the ride of steel with lightweight to boot. Of course, litespeed is the king of titanium frames. Boron steel is another good alternative and I believe Bianchi may still make these? The aluminum and carbon are good race bikes but durability and ride suffer, as well as your body over the long haul. Trek makes a good bike don't get me wrong but look at other alternatives as they push their ultra expensive Lance carbon specials that are not necessarily the best bike for the average rider. One more better than excellent alternative is SEVEN, titanium and carbon customs built to fit you and your riding style but you need very deep pockets.

  6. #6
    Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,324
    +1
    7
    I love to ride! I did 28 miles on my mountain bike and besides my ass hurting, it was pretty fun!

  7. #7
    NIXON'S BACK!! cincygpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, MI
    Posts
    545
    If you're looking for a mix of hard riding/racing and rec rides, the Cannondale Six13 may be worth looking at (the Six13, not the Six). They don't make them anymore, but there's bound to be an '07 or '08 model in a bike shop. These bikes have the 'Dale race geometry of the CAAD9 frames, but they have carbon inserts in the top, bottom, and seat tubes that allow a bit of vibration attenuation without sacrificing power output.

    With that said... any of the bigger manufacturers is a safe bet, just make sure you take each bike you consider out for a good long test ride. What may be comfy in the first mile may not be on the 10th.

    And if you've got the $$$, of course, look at custom. I hear Ti is something else to ride.

  8. #8
    My mountain bike frame is Ti, it's definitely the shit. Superb ride, light and strong.

  9. #9
    Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    St. Paul MN
    Posts
    290
    "I wouldn't spend the money on carbon fiber unless you are Lance Armstrong and you better where the outfit as well. "


    I'm not that hot in the spandex suits....... I have ridden the Aluminum and carbon combo's, not a bad bike for the price. Gary Fisher has a bike out that I really like. It has the groupo of the higher end bikes sans the all carbon frame and wheels. It still comes with the Bontrager wheel set (I have liked for some time). I gave my son the old Haro V-3 mountain bike as I don't care for the "Monkey on a Football" Feel of it. I have tried the Cannondale units (new old stock), bike shop is too proud of the units to deal. I think I'll get one of the following units (Trek 2.3 Compact or the Gary Fisher ARC Pro Compact. Both bikes have a 5 year extended warr for $100 (covers everything but a crash)....

    Thanks for the info.

  10. #10
    GOT BOOST? Dockside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,879
    +1
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by TJBrad04 View Post
    x2

    i love my cannondales, i think they do aluminum better than anyone else out there.

    Yup VERY nice bikes..... Im into mountian bikes and i love Konas and was on one of their Factory team's for a number of years. I like the the BC's North shore style riding....

    Dont buy new if you now what your looking for. You will save a ton of money. Check out this site for new and used bike

    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/?reg...id=35&provid=9

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 96 SL 900 from looking at to fixing, and now upgrading :D
    By Miglater in forum Polaris Projects
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 12-27-2016, 10:38 PM
  2. A good look at the new Rotax Racing supercharger imepeller
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 05:54 AM
  3. Look at this trailer...............
    By Jeff C in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 12:19 PM
  4. look at me ma!
    By Lurker in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
  5. Look at what I did now...
    By oneal in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 06:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •