Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To do or not to do that is the question....

Well i have been putting some thinking to it and im not sure if to go triple pipe or not...i do allot of rough water riding but would love to get some triple pipes... so tell me what you guys think should i save my headache and stay stock pipe or get the triple pipes. Other than tuning problems what are some of the setbacks of getting a set of triple pipes? i have heard the come loose or that they crack...but never seen this really happen so im clueless.

Fernando

+1
    My advice is to learn all that you can about two stroke gpr with a single pipe. Do an engine rebuild. Learn all the parts and what they do. Buy a Yamaha manual and learn it, cover to cover. Understand such terms as pressure checking your engine, gas pressure, water pressure at the head, detonation, and other things of that nature.

After a year, if you still want tripples, do your homework. You can usually find a triple pipe machine for less than 8000. You will have close to 10000 in it, if you buy everything new.

Finally, ask yourself why. Is it the "hit" from the acceleration? It is the coolness factor? Is it the fact that you can actually GET to your carbs? Maybe it's the sound? Whatever it is, understand that a triple pipe GPR is an unforgiving bitch...both in performance and destroyed engines. Your budget will suffer if not careful.

Lots of folks on the board have tripples. I do, and love it. But they are all about attention to detail. Lots of detail. For me, it's the smile on my face and the little demon on my shoulder.

+1
    Personally it would be too much headache for me because of all the recreational riding that we do. I would love to have one, but i would not love to wrench and rebuild all the time.

Mark probably gave the best advice that anyone can give---and if your in the position financially and mechanically to do this and go into it knowing that there will be days when the rain never seems to end---then Go For It.

I think lots of people get into it and never really understand how much detailed stuff is involved---that is why i love the single pipers.

But really---if your ready then fo for it. Mark said it best just above though. ^^

Well this is what i will have done once my motor is put toghther which im actually doing as we speak..lol

Big Bore 1200 to 1375
    Jims Ride plate
    Riva Intake Grate double bar
    Tapered Stock carbs by Pro tec with Pro Tec filters and Already jetted for Triple pipes
    CDI
    Tru and Welded Crank
    Primer Kit
    Jet Works
    05 Pump
    Riva Sponsons
    Riva Trim tabs
    D plate
    VF3 Reeds

Thats all i can think of right now.

if you decide to get some used triples, make sure the ones you get are in good shape, and all the hardware is included. theres allot of extra stuff that goes along with the pipes that can quickly add up $$$ if you have to buy it all cuz the previous owner trashed everything or forgot to give you some stuff

+1
    I would stay single piped. Too many issues with triple pipes. These engines were not designed for 8000 rpms. If the pipes made the power at 7000 so you could turn a bitchin steep wheel then I would be interested. If you are a physicist figure the loads with that reciprocating mass from 7300 to 8000. That would surely convince you. Now add a rough water factor, pump loading and unloading = Time Bomb.

+1
    Triple pipes on the GP non powervalved motor had an affect on me.
    They do two things

1/. Smile like a S.O.B.
    2/. Cry and ask why.

I am hooked somedy down the road I will be getting a GPR.
    Its good advice to leave the pipes until last to learn the boat inside and out first.

My 97 piper was a monster out of the hole was not proped for speed the GPR I have ridden were lacking in that department obviosly they were not modified but I have to think reeds pipes and boosted compression would help a lot in the low end department.

What do you loose with pipes vs no pipes on Holeshot is it significant I know the triple pipes willkeep pulling in the high end.

Race gas and triple pipes are an awesome combination I.M.O.

I will let you know my feeling on this after the summer. Just put the triples on and cant wait to get the boat in the water. I think alot of the problems with any play toy is not running them on the ragged edge. And make sure you stay on top of the maintenance.

+1
    I was messing around on the other board, and wrote something similar...

As soon as you cranked it, you knew the mold this one came out of was not for the weak of mind or soul. It rattled to life, idling like a solid lifter cam'd 427. The hood rattled, and the ski physically shakes from side to side at idle. Snatch the throttle, and it would bark out a shrill 8k rpm blindingly fast. It's main reaction from the surrounding folks was to scare the women, and send the kids peaking out from behind their momma's leg. The only people that (admittedly) wanted to ride the GPR, were the racers, Alex, Joe, and myself. I think everyone else was afraid to even ask. Stepping back and looking at the situation, I'd agree for good reason too...The triple piped GPR isn't smooth or predictable. It's a knarly sounding beast, that would love to spit you off, if possible. The seat is wide, the bars are aggressive, and the throttle response is like a light switch. If it wasn't tuned just right, you knew a piston was going to come flying out the side. I saw Joe smile, as he knew his tow rope was getting some use this weekend. However, it never died. Performance wise, the bottom end hit, is so powerful, you might find yourself either airborne or quite possible flipping off the back. Truly, somebody must have sold his soul to the devil to get a ski to run like this. No frills, no doughnuts with this one. Hope you were ready when you turned those bars...just a smooth fast arc. The triple piper has legs too. It would run these speeds well over a mile or so from the camp to the dam and back, with the last hundred feet being the fastest. Rough water was no match for the mech trim tabs.

I think Joe summed it up best, when it said... "you pulled the throttle, and it's all business from idle to top speed."

+1
    haeheaeeee........kool synopsis....

I remember riding Fercho's 3xpiper back in 2003 and I was sitting on it hangining on to dear life all on the front cowl trying to keep the nose down and pulled 80.0.....never again......too fast for me.....yep, call me wuss, but you heavy hitter can have those 80+ speeds......seventy is plenty.

I will admit, a triple piper anything has major cool-factor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information