mfd not working...help please

i have a 95 sl 750 and the mfd does not work, the pwc works fine but i was wondering if there is a way to tell if its the wiring harness or the actual mfd, i have a voltage meter if that would help me in some way.

Go to this tread it will show where the power and ground are on the watercraft (testing at MFD connector). If you don't have power but a ground, it may be the fuse in the electrical box. I believe it's a 1/4 amp, but confirm in manual.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17765

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Please define "doesn't work".

No power, reads no fuel, reads lopr, all 888888's, etc.....

If no power, check the fuse inside the elec box. It is a 1/4 amp and can be bought at Radio Shack.

the problem is the display seems to have no power, it doesnt light up or anything, i thought i just replaced the fuse as well, i have a voltage meter is there some way i could see if there is power going to the display

+1
    Check for power between the Red/Pur and ground at the gauge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1992-1998FactoryManual.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	409.6 KB 
ID:	121398  

+1
    What he said ^^^^^^^^

Plus, sometimes the plug/connector is funny. Try clicking the connector really hard into the MFD. Mine seems to make poor contact sometimes, even though the connectors "click". Worth a shot.

thanks ill try those when i can, also another question, the engine seems to stall when i open the throttle to much and wont start up again right away and when starting later i usually have to give it a little gas. any ideas to what the problem is??

+1
    Running lean sticking a piston..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sl75 View Post
    thanks ill try those when i can, also another question, the engine seems to stall when i open the throttle to much and wont start up again right away and when starting later i usually have to give it a little gas. any ideas to what the problem is??
    This is either too rich or too lean (my guess).

Next time this happens, remove a spark plug and see if it's wet or dry. If it's wet, you're flooding out. If it's dry, you're running out of fuel. (most likely)

When you say give it some gas, are you choking it, or feathering the throttle when cranking?

Reason I ask is because, there is no accelerator pump on the carbs, so if opening the throttle helps, you're basically giving it more air. (this would also indicate a rich condition)

If you're running out of fuel, you're seriously in danger of burning a hole in your piston. Take a good look at your piston tops through the spark plug hole while the piston is at Bottom Dead Center.

If it's ALL black, you're in trouble. (lack of fuel)

If it's black with some "clean" (no carbon build up) spots, you should be fine.

Sounds like a good time to rebuild your fuel system, just in case. $150 to re-do everything, and you'll have a nice reliable ski for years to come. (new fuel hose $20, new triple outlet fuel pump $26, Clean/inspect the fuel shut off valve, and thoroughly clean/rebuild the carbs about $100)

Thread Information