Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What the H*** is going on with my GPR!!!

Ok,

Here's what I have done and here's the problem.
    Solas 13/19 prop
    PPK
    D-plate
    2-bar intake
    Reed stuffers
    Flame Arrestors
    T-handles High's 1 1/4 Low's 1 1/2
    Advent CDI Yam-94 snap 61

My boat was running fine the other day and then I put in the Advent. It ran great for about half hour or so then started falling on it's face and didn't want to go past 5500 or so. I got real mad at it and didn't care and held into it and then once it was past around 5500 started to run good again up top. I had it on the hose and it will rev easily past 5000 too.

I thought it may have been the Advent. This didn't happen on my other runs without the Advent. So, I put the advent to the stock CDI curve to see if the Yam-84 was to much. Now, it got worse....so, I put the stock CDI back in...and it's stops building rpms around 5200-5300...just doesn't want to pull anymore.

I'm going to do another compression test...but, all 3 cyclinders had good comp numbers...so, I didn't loose a cylinder. My powervalve cycle...so, I know the motor works....anybody have any ideas whatsoever...this is happening to close to MB to have a ski that won't go over 40Mph!!

Benny and I are going to be messing with it tomorrow...I pulled the plugs and they all looked good too. I put the Advent back in today before putting it away..Yam-94 curve and snap 61. So, we'll see tomorrow if anything is different.

Any ideas that anybody has are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks all,
    Steve

+1
    are you using a fuel pressure guage? I am wondering if your loosing your fuel flow at that point in the power band.

No gauge....but, it ran fine with this same setup...it's just when I put in the advent and now when I put the stock back in it doesn't even want to work...

I think your snap is wrong. I don't youre opening and closing at 6100rpms. Go to a snap 58 and try that.

sounds like a fuel problem, did your ski sit for a while prior to the day it started running bad? and/or might that have been the first time out this year?

No, it didn't sit for longer then a week and it had about 5 gallons of Race fuel added to the 87 that was in it. Once the problem started I emptied that gas and put 93 in the ski. I don't think it's a snap problem either...mainly because it ran fine the first time out with the stock CDI. I'm starting to think something came loose somewhere and I'm pulling the stinger off today to check out the carbs and make sure no vaccume lines came off.

Any more ideas are welcome!

+1
    maybe PVs aren't working

did you try the stock CDI again?

do a compression check PVs open and then PVs closed (disconnect the servo motor cable and manually rotate the arm)

go for a ride with servo motor disconnected and ensure PVs are closed - should run fine but rpms at WOT will be several hundred too low - if this is the case this would indicate your PVs were stuck open and they wern't closing

+1
    I think something got messed up when you got into the electric box. Check all the wires. I'm not saying you hooked one up wrong. I think one worked loose somewhere. Almost sounds like a temp sensor.

Good Luck with your "Witch Hunt"

Philip...you must have read my mind....I already did what you where saying today....and that's exactly what happened. I also tried running with the valve opened manually (with motor disconnected) and couldn't get the rpm's to go up.

But, everytime that I would connect the servo motor....try to do a run...it would just start to surge at around 5400 to 5500. If I shut it down and unhooked the motor...I got it to pull (very nicely) to 6100 at first...turned the HS out another 1/4 turn and managed to bring it upto 6400rpm. I can't really turn the Highs anymore..but, what would cause the sticking of the P.V.s? Can you elaborate some more on your analysis?

I think your on the right track...give me some more ideas...Benny and Austin are somewhat puzzeled at it...I'm going to start with a new fuel filter and see if that helps. Maybe, my fuel is just not flowing good enought to the carbs.

Anymore input is greatly Appreciated....I'd like to get this figured out by MB.

Thanks,
    Steve

Anymore ideas along the line of Philips?? I'm thinking of wiring a switch to the servo motor today and when I hit 6100-6200 flicking the valves open that way and seeing what happens....thoughts????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information