what was the best xp

can you tell me what you all think was the best model xp as im thinking of getting one as a play thing for wave jumping look forward to what you have to say

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Of course personal opinion is going to be the main factor here but I love my 96's...Its like moto-cross on the water

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The best XP is the one in my garage! LOL

Wave jumping the X-4 hull is. Which is a 96XP, and 97-99 SPX.

I loved my 96 XPs, but my XPLs weren't too shabby either.

Ravenna Ohio
    98 XP Limited it was the first year they had the 951 motor in it I had one it was one of the fastest skis on the water back then not to mention the shock on the seat!

Grosse Pointe, MI
    -well, the 96 xp was great as well as the 97-99spx... which are basically all the same, just different paint schemes. they weigh about 400 pounds
    -the 97 xp wasn't great because it was the bigger boat with the 800 motor, kinda slow...
    -the 98 xp i thought had water injestion issues... not positive about that though... i thought i remember hearing that
    -the 99-02 are pretty good machines
    -the best power and best fuel efficiency is the 03-04 xpdi's, i believe they are kinda heavy

Sry if I have any wrong info... correct me please if i am. Just trying to help out. All the XP's are great machines though.

carbed 2000 and up, less water intrusion (with vent holes moved back) than the 98-99 and had the better ignition than the 98

98-99 was my favorite and still is.

For just wave jumping the smaller 96 X4 hull would be the best IMO. I think they made this body style as an SPX up untill 98.

Grosse Pointe, MI
    the 96 xp and 97-99 spx are the same boats basically. They change a few things, I know the 99 spx has a lil different exhaust not coming straight out of the back like the 96 xp did.

96 xp- yellow hull, yellow top, pink graphics
    97 spx- yellow hull, white top
    98 spx- black hull, white top
    99 spx- black hull, yellow hull, silver graphics. IMO best looking but prolly the most expensive... you see the least amout of these for sale.

Rockledge Florida
    buds I would say depends on your size and fitness level. 200 under 96 or the X-4 hull with a 787 0r 800. Bigger and older get the XPL with a 951. Reason is the X-4 is hard to mount in calm water when your over 200lb like to roll over unless your fit enough to do a side mount with surf pounding you every 3 seconds. The XPL is a little more forgiving. XPL is also faster and better ride in chop and IMHO its a better all around boat. I hated the 96XP. But it got me in shape and tought me how to build a ROTAX 787. I got rid of it because it developed electrical problems. It would never restart after a fall in surf. 5 minutes later it would start no reason. I have seen the same problem in 3 boats all 787's around 96 or 97 an XP SPX and a GTX. gave up on all of them

Thread Information