Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile hey guys! got a kawi 900stx project

hey so im looking to basically just supe-up my 00 kawi 900 stx... anyone got an idea of what i can do and where i should start.... its completely stock....right now....haha

thanks in advance!

+1
    Read then Goupk write up and start from there. They make a nice rideplate that is a good deal

bump

bump

What are you looking to do? Are you looking for handling upgrades, top end speed, or hole shot?

Generally, you are going to give up one to get the other.

What is your budget?

+1
    Flying ...P There are alot of ways to gain performance. Not so much with the 900 but still some things you can do to get overall better performance and top speed.

I would start from the bottom up....."Seriously"
    The hull,intake and pump area is probably where alot of speed is gained and lost. Plus can be cheap to get or exspensive depending on condition.

The hull if in good condition probably wont need much attention. But if damaged should be repaired. Try the intake area is the grate in poor shape if so replace it or repaire it. Then look for ways to modify it ...Like making it thinner or making it match up better for smoother transition. Same with the intake shoe and pump. This is all hand work and can take hours but the people who go fast spend hours on this stuff. Just for example I hand sanded and file'd a intake grate and ride plate for probably 4 hours maybe more.

Make sure impeller is in good shape and is at the right clearance for the wear ring.

I even changed the pump cone bolts because they where protruding in the path of the water thus making it go around instead of going right by.

So the best thing to do if your going to start modding is get some testing tools a gps and a good tach are a must so you can keep track of your progress. That way you see and feel what works and WHAT doesnt work.....somtimes you will gain speed and go home do another mod and might be going slower and you know somthing didnt work.

After spending some time there another good mod and simple is a bump in compression. Maybe a carb mod on the stock one;s or aftermarket carbs.

The list goes on and also group k has some good reading and probably the only one's who really did anything for this ski so some ideas can come there to.

Anyway hope this info helps and like I said start at the bottom and check all that stuff out...winter is normally the best time for this type of stuff or whenever you have time.

Johnny makes some good suggestions. Fine tune the setup. You are probably going to be limited with that 900 motor but I think you can put an 1100 top end on it. That would mean you could do on of group k's kits on it.Could hurt some feelings beating up on them with a little 900 stx

To give you some idea what we mean by setup Johnny has written alot in his project and there is alot in mine as well as the ultra 150 mods thread. Some of the things we have done wont apply to your ski but many will. Dont be afraid to ask questions There is lots of good help here.

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    What are you looking to do? Are you looking for handling upgrades, top end speed, or hole shot?

Generally, you are going to give up one to get the other.

What is your budget?

no budget at the moment... well get into that later... right now i just want to see what i can do to get that 900 running faster.

so like what can i do, about how much it will cost, what kind of gains will i get from that, and we'll go fromt there

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Johnny makes some good suggestions. Fine tune the setup. You are probably going to be limited with that 900 motor but I think you can put an 1100 top end on it. That would mean you could do on of group k's kits on it.Could hurt some feelings beating up on them with a little 900 stx

To give you some idea what we mean by setup Johnny has written alot in his project and there is alot in mine as well as the ultra 150 mods thread. Some of the things we have done wont apply to your ski but many will. Dont be afraid to ask questions There is lots of good help here.

i have looked at that thread, haha im not much of a perfomance guy, i can take a jetski thats a total crapshot, and make that thing run, if not a little bit better than the day it left the factory, *like my old 89 kawi 650 to 750 ski project*

although i would like to make that thing go alot faster..... the love for that ski is still there, but the greed for one of those supercharged 250's is allways in my mind, the only thing stopping me is my wallet haha..... thats why i would like to mod my 900, and im not even talking about spending a lot in it, but like a gain of 6 mph, and some torque would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Flying ...P There are alot of ways to gain performance. Not so much with the 900 but still some things you can do to get overall better performance and top speed.

I would start from the bottom up....."Seriously"
    The hull,intake and pump area is probably where alot of speed is gained and lost. Plus can be cheap to get or exspensive depending on condition.

The hull if in good condition probably wont need much attention. But if damaged should be repaired. Try the intake area is the grate in poor shape if so replace it or repaire it. Then look for ways to modify it ...Like making it thinner or making it match up better for smoother transition. Same with the intake shoe and pump. This is all hand work and can take hours but the people who go fast spend hours on this stuff. Just for example I hand sanded and file'd a intake grate and ride plate for probably 4 hours maybe more.

Make sure impeller is in good shape and is at the right clearance for the wear ring.

I even changed the pump cone bolts because they where protruding in the path of the water thus making it go around instead of going right by.

So the best thing to do if your going to start modding is get some testing tools a gps and a good tach are a must so you can keep track of your progress. That way you see and feel what works and WHAT doesnt work.....somtimes you will gain speed and go home do another mod and might be going slower and you know somthing didnt work.

After spending some time there another good mod and simple is a bump in compression. Maybe a carb mod on the stock one;s or aftermarket carbs.

The list goes on and also group k has some good reading and probably the only one's who really did anything for this ski so some ideas can come there to.

Anyway hope this info helps and like I said start at the bottom and check all that stuff out...winter is normally the best time for this type of stuff or whenever you have time.

what is this group k everyone speaks of haha , im sorry im still sort of a noob at this..... btw i would like to know where i can get carb mods *ie cold airs, better than stock carbs, etc* i know k & n makes a cold air with adapters for that ski, i am planning to pick up those guys... but im just baffled at what you guys do, seriously, is there anyplace i can go to learn more than asking questions here??? haha let me know

thanks for everyones support and help!

+1
    Flying ...P In order to get 6 mph your gonna spend about $2000 or more....!!!

Gains are not easy on ski's ....yours will really be a problem since that hull has a 1100 motor in it as well. And with yours being a 900 going about 53 stock I think ....??

You might be able to get 56...maybe 57 if your lucky but should get better overall speed. Which meaning that speed is not always the winnder only in glass or slight ripple it is...but if your ski doesnt have enough power or tourque when you come out of the water your ski will slow way down. Now the kawi hull is great for rough water but can be a jack hammer...Which is what are old race ski was known as ...The Jack hammer. Did a number on your knees..

Anyway so say your doing 56 and come out of the water your might slow down to about 52...but with a a ski that runs consitantly at say 54 might stay at 53 or 54 even in some rougher water.....but all in all ...most if not all ski's lose speed when in rough water and boucing around.

Anyway If you really want to go that much faster I woul ddo a 1100 conversion the cheapest way possible. Like top end and cylinder...and see what else is needed. Will the pipe work and elec.'s and other stuff.

Have not done one and been a while since I have worked on those.

Modding is a hobbie that requires patience and alot of R&D...literally. Research and Development ...where both come into play alot.

I have read lots of forum threads and made and developed lots of parts out of what ever works and is safe.

But in this process you learn....and things come easier.

Since your budget is not alot .....I would find a gps....if you want to keep track of your speed gain. If not then this forces in a derectionof feeling the power...then I would get a boost in compression and some after market flame arrestors for your ski. Which in mind they are not air filters.......They are for spark only and do not filter the air at all. You could run th things with out them and make no differance. Not that im saying to do that but just as an example.

So in this order I would get a gps.....go out and run your ski where you normally ride where the water is consistant. Get your mph....

And then start somewhere simple like the intake grate. Get some sand paper....a file..a grinder what ever and smooth it out file it down some make sure it matches to the hull nice where nothing is hanging down more than it needs to be. Then bolt it back up.. and go get numbers.....If you go .5 mph faster every pass then you probably just gained a 1/2 mph. Then the pump shoe then the pump and the nozzle then the ride plate....

All this stuff is small gains that gets you a better..."overall speed"

So if you do the whole intake track....I bet you could gain 1 mph....thats all hand labor and minimal cost.

Then the money comes to play...like finding a head...ebay is a good spot for that. Justs takes patience.

Ok well there is somewhere to start....takes some pics and write things down as you go to keep track of progress.

I have a stack of 3x5 cards with tons of notes from my gpr and stxr.

With all setups I have done....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information