New to PWC Scene

Hello all,

I'm new to the whole PWC thing and just started looking into purchasing our first unit(s). I've found a 2005 2 seaters (turbo) that is new. I was floored when I was told they were completely new since they are 4 years old. The dealer also has a 2006 3 seater (turbo as well). Pricing seems as if they're giving both the '05 and '06 away. My wife and I are toy junkies, and since we have the pavement and dirt covered, we should check out water toys. We live 30 minutes from Lake Pleasant in AZ and have really enjoyed our days at the lake with friends in the past. With the hobbies we have, we feel that we would be able to be on the lake maybe four to five times a year max. With knowing this, I thought I'd pick everyone's brain on whether or not you would feel it's worth spending the money on the machines and maintaining them for that limited amount of use. My family has owned boats before, and they always seem to think they'll make it out to the water more than they actually do. Plus, we have a young child that would be a passenger (as long as it's allowed by law...something I still have to look into), and I'm wondering if he would be interested in enjoying the lake.

So, if we decide to purchase, we'd most likely be looking at these two units, or one of the units and a left over '07 Kawasaki 250. We think we'd like one two seater and one three seater. I'm kind of a speed guy and love power. The wife will be simply cruising. Both units would make occasional trips (maybe once a year) to California when we visit family. So, knowing this what do you think of the models I've mentioned? I've been told and have read that the Hondas will not be the leaders in performance, but most likely the leaders in quality and reliability. We are a Honda family, and Honda machines have been great thru the years for us. Reliability and durability are the two most important features for us. Ease of maintenance would be second and performance a close third (maybe second for mine). The only other downside to making this purchase is that we need to have a trailer with brakes due to our tow rig requirements. That means I'm looking at another $3k for a Triton with surge brakes. The good news is, the savings made by buying one or two of the models listed helps a lot. Anyways, sorry for such a long post. Any opinions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading this board for awhile now, and glad I joined. Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

I am not a Honda PWC expert, but here is my take.

Honda seems to have really over produced those '05 and '06 models, and dealers do seem to still have a few left here and there, still new.

If you really are going to use the machines only a few times per year, you may be farther ahead to find a PWC rental company that handles machines of the size you are thinking of on that lake. Or one that can deliver, or provide a trailer with the skis.

In addition to purchase costs, you will want insurance, and ongoing maintenance is another cost area. For infrequent use, you would want to do the storage process each time you put them away for more than a few days. Engine fogging, protective spraying, cleaning and such.

Then there is depreciation, even from the discounted new prices. PWC are fun machines, but they are not inexpensive if you buy new, and ride them infrequently.

You may also need PWC operator certificates, if they apply in your region.

Thanks for the response. With only using the ski's a few times a year, it would most likely be more economical to rent. The only thing I'm thinking about is that a couple years from now, we should have more time to spend at the lake. I believe we'd be out there 8-10 times per year at that point. To me, that seems to be the amount of use that would sway me to purchase instead of renting (from an economics standpoint). The only reason I'm looking at buying now is because I would prefer to purchase new, and with the pricing on '05 and '06 leftovers, I'm concerned I'll never see these types of pricing for a new ski again. I know Honda made some good improvements for '08, but from what I'm hearing the improvements aren't THAT noticeable (especially when taking into consideration the 50%-60% reduction from MSRP). Another challenge that I have is storage space. I'm maxed out at our home, so off-site storage will be needed and we all know that's another monthly expense. So, I guess I'm trying to sell myself on buying now because I can probably get an '05 two seater and an '06 three seater, both turboed, for around $12,500 otd (I believe). Add the Triton WC2-2 with brakes, and I'm at $15,500 otd.

Am I right about Honda PWC's. Are they as reliable and comfortable as I'm making them out to be? I take really good care of my machines and follow manufacturer's recommendations to the tilt. Knowing this, is it realistic to see 10-15 years of use at roughly 500 hours of ride time?

Lastly, what is fogging the internals and what care needs to be done in between outings if the machines will be sitting for 30-90 days in between rides? My dealer told me that all you need to do is the 50 hour maintenance and a quick wipe down of the exterior after each trip.

damn, where are you located for 6k out the door for a aquatrax?

nvm, i decieded to read rather than skim the article lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilFan View Post
    Am I right about Honda PWC's. Are they as reliable and comfortable as I'm making them out to be? I take really good care of my machines and follow manufacturer's recommendations to the tilt. Knowing this, is it realistic to see 10-15 years of use at roughly 500 hours of ride time?

Lastly, what is fogging the internals and what care needs to be done in between outings if the machines will be sitting for 30-90 days in between rides? My dealer told me that all you need to do is the 50 hour maintenance and a quick wipe down of the exterior after each trip.
    You are right about the reliability and comfort. The F12x (3 seat) is comfy, nimble, and fast, has plenty of storage for extended gear and can tow. The R12x (2 seat) is still comfy to a point, you'll use it mostly one up, not as much storage, VERY nimble, fast, and can't tow. I am a Honda man as well, from mowers to trimmers to generators to cars to bikes to ski's (owned them all) and the ski's are no exception. The fuel mileage is 2nd to none (on both machines). There are people on this site that have close to 4 -500 hrs in less than 8 years. The maintenance is VERY easy. Oil & filter changes, maintenance lubrication with CRC 6-56, and spot checks, that's it. I would foresee you loving these machines, as well as the time on them spent with the children. I have a 4 and 7 year old who both love carving figure 8's with me on our F12x . In regards to the cylinder fogging, basically at time of winterization you put a teaspoon of oil in through each spark plug hole and turn the motor over to keep the cylinder lubed with oil. Only necessary during extended storage (3-6 months). For the price, I say buy now. You are basically getting two ski's for the price of an F15x. Stop reading this and go to the dealer now!

Yeah I'm a coucher, and proud of it! ticketplease's Avatar
    I say if you have the space to put them away when your not using them buy them. Put Sta-Bil in the gasd every fill up since you don't know when the next time you use them will be from your post and winerize them in the winter. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by dman25 View Post
    damn, where are you located for 6k out the door for a aquatrax?

nvm, i decieded to read rather than skim the article lol.

We're in AZ and it's now looking like we'd be somewhere between $13.5k-$14.5k otd. Not as good as I originally thought, but still not bad.

ticketplease, unfortunately we'd have to rent storage for these units which adds another $90/mo. or so to the expense list. After talking it over with the wife, we may hold off until next spring. I know the '05's will be gone (and most likely the '06's), but that will give me another year to prepare for the expense of ownership. I thank everyone for their input and help, and if we change our mind, I'll surely let everyone know. Heck, maybe someday I'll run into a member or two on this board at one of the many lakes around AZ.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilFan View Post
    ...maybe someday I'll run into a member or two on this board at one of the many lakes around AZ.
    If you stick around GH, you may see when small groups are getting together at the lakes near you, at times when you could be there (with or without your own skis, or rentals).

Connecting with others who also enjoy being on the water is a good thing. And nothing beats in person comparisons of PWC along with the owners who ride them.

The more you hang around GreenHulk, the more you may become comfortable with 'second hand' machines. Some of the stuff members here have sold to each other around makes the new-from-the-factory products look like prototypes!

Thread Information