Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sunk Ski help getting running

Friday I was out doing some testing ski was running great ran 76.4 one way and 74.4 going the other. I suddenly lost about 50 rpm so I stopped and lifted the seat and saw water all ready just below the throttle bodies!

I could actually hear the water filling the hull. I pulled out my fold up paddle and started paddling as fast as I could to land. I was only about 30 feet away and before I made it the ski started to roll, it was going down fast. I jumped off into 3 feet of water and mud and managed to get the rear of the ski pulled up onto the marsh. Called sea tow, they were 1 hour away and it was close to dark. Called my brother and he made it there in recorded time on the old reliable waveventure.

We wired up the bilge pump and found the problem. The pressure hose on the jetworks broke and this cause the sound suppression to over heat and melt leaving a 3 inch hole for water to enter. Sea tow was bringing an inflatable trailer to put the ski on but it was getting dark and we were in marsh land. About that time we saw a huge gator just 30 feet from us Then he went under water and we were down stream from it. So we stuffed the hole with our shirts and wired the bilge pump direct and made a run for it! Got it to the house pulled the plugs and pumped out the water and got it running.

I replaced the pressure hose on the jetworks and installed my free flow tube ran a full tank through it saturday and it runs great at half and full throttle. Still pulls good rpms.

My problems- I get engine code 15 which is the temp sensor. It will not idle without giving it gas. When you take off it feels like it does when your ski is cold and take off for the first time of the day. It will foul the plugs sometimes at idle.

Is there some type of idle control sensor I need to check? Injectors dirty?
    I'm going to try the resistor mod on the temp sensor and see if that helps.

I would suggest anyone thats using the stock bilge siphon hose as there pressure hose with the jetworks installation to go ahead and uprgrade this hose to a more ridged high pressure hose so this does not happen.

+1
    I'm going to try the resistor mod on the temp sensor and see if that helps.

not sure if this is a good idea, isn't the temp sensor telling you something is wrong?

give the post a chance maybe others will come up with some ideas - things aren't right and maybe someone can point you in the right direction

oh yeah, that is quite the story!

Ski runs good at 1/2 throttle on up, it just will not idle, idles low at 800-900rpm.
    I don't know why the pipe temp sensor would be giving problems unless the water ruined it somehow, its located on the pipe water exit hose.

I took the throttle bodies off today. Injectors look good- how do you clean them?

There are three other things mounted on the throttle bodies, one looks like some type of idle control or warm up idle selenoid? If this went under water its probably bad. I guess I 'll have to start changing parts to find the problem.

+1
    Ronn...when you run on the hose, is water comming out of all pissers? It is possible you sucked something up into your pump and clogged the inlet to your cooling system.
    On the throttle body assy is your idle control and TPS. If those were bad it would store a code. While the t-body is off, try to peek into the intake tract and see if ya broke a reed pedal.

...I am just thinking out load...possibly a bad Throttle Position Sensor, but you would think it would store a code

Man that sux to hear... Hope you get it all sorted out... I was over running around goula river for the Poker run sat. Tons of people out.

Yep, definitely a must not to use that hose from the factory.
    Hope you get it running right again without to much damage

+1
    Been there and done that. Get it on the water and run it full blast as long as you can. You need to get the water out of the crankcase asap.

I've ran a full tank through it. All the water is gone. Runs great at 1/2 throttle on up. I just need to figure out what parts are bad causing it not to idle. What parts should I change on the fuel injection?

When the jetworks stops flowwing, does it stop the water going to the engine? I would run a compression test and see what that comes up with. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information