Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Need help with the XLL

Ok, we went out today and did a little wave jumping in the surf. Noticed after a while that the ski was not running right, it was having a hard time idling and felt boggy. WTF... I'm thinking I hope I didn't ingest water and trash a cylinder. We were 1/2 hour from the dock, and the waves were picking up, so I was forced to keep riding to get back.

Got back finally (possibly breaking my wrist in the process from a huge wave), and checked the plugs... all fouled. Changed them out and tried it; still didn't want to idle, and would lose RPMs after about 20 secs of WOT.

Went ahead and pulled it out of the water, took it to fresh water and dropped it in to wash it out. It ran better; no loss of RPM's at WOT, but still doesn't want to idle, and I can hear a tapping noise at low RPM's. Seems like it's only hitting on 2 cylinders a low RPM's, but I've got too much power at WOT to be missing a cylinder. Anyone have any idea WTF might be going on? We are going to check compression tomorrow or Tuesday, though it seems OK with initial check (finger over the plug hole). We are gonna check the fire too, see what kind of spark I have. Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue here? Plug wire, carb, what?

+1
    Power valve issues maybe?? Do you have a Waveeater clips installed?

+1
    Brand new motor, maybe 10 hours on it.... next!

+1
    Were you out in Charleston Harbor?

Don't rule out the power valve failure so quickly, if this was my ski acting like that then I would definitely do a compression test and look at my power valves.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamadoo2
    Were you out in Charleston Harbor?
    Yeah, out in the harbor, then over in between Ft Sumter and Sullivans Island.

I'll be checking compression Tuesday, I'll go ahead and pull the power valves and check them. I'm just wondering if it could be something electrical maybe.

I checked your compresion today, WOT, all plugs removed and checked all 3 times in a row.
    85, 90, 90 turned engine over with no plugs and no gauge for afew seconds and rechecked. 145 all 3. I dont know anything about PV but you need to see if they are working right.
    Mike

+1
    Well, that's a relief, the most expensive potiential problem out of the way. Anyone else want to tell me what to check next?

+1
    Interesting. I didn't get to hear everything that Mike had to say about your ski. I can tell you exactly whats wrong with your ski now Smitty. I'll be at Mike's tomorrow and show you. Bring 3 new spark plugs.
    Don't listen to yamadoo, he can't even get his own shit running.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Yeah we were meeting you and mike to go out. The friend I invited to go out with us was supposed to be here at 11:00 but didn't show up at the house till almost 12:00 and we still had to stop and premix 25 gallons of gas. Thought we would run into you out in the harbor but evidently we went to the far right side of the breakers and you guys ended up on the left side. At any rate had a great time out jumping till my friend came off a wave wrong with his girl friend on the back and stuffed it half sideways banging her leg pretty good.

About the ski: I've got a xl1200 limited too (it's a yr 2000).

Does the power valves cycle after you hit the STOP button? It will cycle both ways like it's resetting it's self.

Do you have a cat or D-plate installed?

At 145 psi did you have the head machined or go with a aftermarket one?

Also with the low rpm idle change it may indicate damage to one of the reeds.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information