Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some advice after changing oil

All,
    I changed my oil yesterday on my 05 RXP. I was having trouble with my pump to get the oil out, so I dumped the oil that was initially pulled and did a quick repair job on my pump. I didn't really remember how much oil I pulled initially, but all together I believe I took out about 4 quarts. Problem is that in order to get the oil back to the right level (somewhere in the bend in the dipstick), I had to add right at 5 quarts of oil. I followed the steps in the HOW TO: change oil section here in the forum. Might have stuck the tube a little deeper than the 18.7 inches though. Could this be right that it needed 5 quarts of oil, or do you all think that I need to do something different? (take some out, etc.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You need to level the ski, start the engine for a minute or so, idle for 30 seconds, stop it, wait 30 seconds and check the oil level. If you just add oil and check the dipstick, you aren't going to get a good reading... Ron

+1
    I've stuck my tube in as far as it would go and still only managed to pump out just under 4 quarts. That was with cranking the engine over at wot 4-5 times too. Does the oil look clear (as in not milky)? Not sure what to tell you. My understanding is it only holds around 4 quarts with the ski level. Was the ski level?

Thanks for the responses! My ski seemed to be pretty level. The oil was not milky at all, just lookedl like regular used motor oil. I did the part with letting the ski idle for 30 seconds, shutting it down, and then letting it sit for 30 and check. The ski is on a double trailer with my brother's matching ski. We changed the oil the exact same way, and he only had to add 3 quarts. Have any of you ever heard of adding 5 quarts and still being in the bend in the stick and not over? Once again, thanks for the quick responses!

An oil change with filter change shouldn't be more than 4 quarts. I don't think a new engine will take 5 quarts and still read normal on the dipstick. My son's Saab had 8 quarts of oil in it when he bought it - that was twice the oil it should have had due to dealer error... Ron

Thanks again man! I'm gonna check it either this afternoon or tomorrow to see exactly where I'm at. Could just be a brain fart on my part. Was doing 10 things at one time!

I had similar problems. I kept adding oil and it wasn't showing on the stick.

Put 4 quarts in and then go run the ski on the water for 10 minutes. Pop the seat and check the oil. Best way to do it is to check the oil on the water.

+1
    I just put my engine back together and so it had zero oil in it.

It took 4 qts and seems to be right where i want it until further findings.

When changing oil i usually only get 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 qts out. I always put back in the amount i take out when doing service.

both my skis always are under 4 quarts on the refill

+1
    thats too much, go level the ski perfectly witha level on teh rubrails.
    run it for a few minutes on the garden hose.
    a few throttle blips, then ide and shut down. wait 30 sec.
    meaure the oil.
    remove some and then run and check again.
    repeat till its 1/2 way btw the bends.you could staart by removing 1 quart right away and see where it is after that.
    should never need more than 3.5-4 quarts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information