Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft timing

+1

Camshaft timing

I am a bit confused with the camshaft timing alignment procedure as explained in the manual. Can someone please shed some light on this for me.

It says to bring #3 cylinder up to tdc with a screw driver, and then insert the crank lock. It appears that the crank lock screws into a plug that is up under #1 cylinder (under the area where the chain tensioner plug is located) then lock the cam, and align the marks on the cam to the flat surface of the head. First of all is theis correct?

My question is why are you timing the cam to TDC #3 cylinder?

How do most people do this procedure, and is it necessary to pull the intake manifold to do it?

Next question, I need to make a timing mark for TDC #1 cylinder is there a way to lock the engine on TDC #1?

Thanks

Louis

+1
    You do not set the cam timing with #1 at TDC. Doing so will results in bent valves.

You set the timing with #3 at TDC. #3 is the cylinder closest to the front of the ski.

Bring that cylinder up to top dead center. The manual tells you to lock the crank but i never do that. I just drop a long screwdriver in the spark plug hole and then rotate the drive shaft until the screwdriver reaches it's peak. If you do it this way without locking the crank make damn sure you have the piston at TDC. I move the driveshaft back and forth a little bit and watch the screwdriver pivot at it's peak to ensure i have it at TDC. Never had a problem doing it this way and I've done it a lot.

Lock the camshaft with the camshaft locking tool and then hang the chain on the cam sprocket and install on the camshaft. The sprocket has a couple of hash marks on it. You want each of these marks level with the deck of the head.... they won't be perfectly level but real close.

You may have to rehang the chain a couple of times to make sure you get it right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis914 View Post
    is it necessary to pull the intake manifold to do it?
    only if you use the crank locking tool. You need to pull the manifold back out the way to remove the allen head plug and install the crank locking tool.

Next question, I need to make a timing mark for TDC #1 cylinder is there a way to lock the engine on TDC #1?
    No you don't. Don't ever set the cam timing using #1 at TDC. Engine damage WILL occur!

+1
    Great info Jerry! Should throw this in the how to section

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    just one minor correction.... original poster had it correct. the crank locking tool hole is located on number 1 cylinder (rear of the engine) ... it is located beneath the hydraulic chain tensioner

even tho the crank locking tool goes under cylinder 1 (the rear cylinder) .... the position where the crank is drilled for that locking tool to slide in locks #3 (front cylinder) at TDC

i recommend using the crank locking tool. too many people have eye-balled TDC and then later found out the chain was off one tooth... at the bare minimum, i would pull the plug out of the block and look thru with a flash light and make damn sure the drilled hole in the crank is perfectly aligned with the opening as if you had the crank tool... your screwdriver can be at it's highest point in the spark plug hole and you still have some minimal rotational movement of the crank without the piston height changing which could lead to a little ut oh.... better safe than sorry. at least get a visual on the timing hole drilled on the crank thru the locking hole

On a side note, I checked top dead center of the #3 piston with a dial indicator this weekend. When the crank is locked with the crank locking tool, the #3 piston is EXACTLY at TDC.

Mark

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    just one minor correction.... original poster had it correct. the crank locking tool hole is located on number 1 cylinder (rear of the engine) ... it is located beneath the hydraulic chain tensioner

Yep, you are right. Just edited.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Yep, you are right. Just edited.
    4-tecs are about the only thing i know better than the back of my hand...

ur workin with 1800 and 1500 powerplants in your household... i can understand the mix up from time to time

+1
    Thanks Guys. I was just confused with the lock tool under #1 cylinder, but #3 at TDC. It just sounded odd to me, and I wanted to hear it from an expert.

I need to make a TDC mark for #1 so that I can set base ignition timing with a stand alone ECU with a strobe timing light. That problem is unrelated to the cam timing question. I will just dial indicator #1 piston, and scribe a little line on the exposed area of the drive shaft. Or I guess I could scribe the line with #3 locked, and use the strobe on #3 as an alternative..

+1

I need to make a TDC mark for #1 so that I can set base ignition timing with a stand alone ECU with a strobe timing light. That problem is unrelated to the cam timing question. I will just dial indicator #1 piston, and scribe a little line on the exposed area of the drive shaft. Or I guess I could scribe the line with #3 locked, and use the strobe on #3 as an alternative..
    Ah i understand. Very cool! Which stand alone ECU are you going to use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information