Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help 2004 RXP SUPERCHARGER

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem. I know there is a shady part to this story but here it goes. I have been helping a friend of mine with 2004 RXP. Like all RXP's the supercharger went on it. The gear on the end of the charger was missing when I removed the charger. I knew excatly then the engine had to be removed to inspect the oil pumps.
    The engine was removed and I replaced both the front and back oil pump assemblies. Not cheap items to replace. Well he got cheap and didnt want to purchase a new supercharger. He got one off of ebay. I reinstalled the engine with all of the new pumps and flushed the cleaned the engine as best as possible. After I reinstalled the engine and installed the new/used charger, there is a clicking noise comming from the charger when the engine runs. Well, at that point I thought I had missed something. I removed the new/used charger and reinstalled the old charger that was basicaly a siezed shaft on the housing with no gear. No more noise. I removed the engine for the second time and took a good look at the teeth on the flywheel where the charger mates to the flywheel and everything looks good. I dont see anything wrong. I reinstalled the engine and I still have this problem. I even put a couple of small washers inbetween the charger and the casing thinking maybe there is casting flaw. No difference. The new/used charger spins free and doesnt make any noise by hand. I dont think its spinning fast enough to hear it. Im at wits end with this and really confused. Im not new to PWC repair and servicing, but I am really confused with this. Deep inside I think the charger is faulty in some way. I dont know what year or model the ebay charger came from.

Is there a difference between chargers?? like number of teeth, shiming distance??

Thanks for your help

Dallio

+1
    185 hp skis have 17 tooth gears on the supercharger

215 and 155 hp skis have 16 tooth gears

**EDITED**

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Personally if it were me... I would rebuild that charger with an 08 kit.

+1
    All 215 and 255hp engines have the same number of teeth gtx rxp rxt etc. Only 185 hp skis have a different geartodd

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    The 185's have 17, the 215's and 255's have 16. My first thought as I read this was wrong drive gear... but I'm not positive.

PM Steve (shibby) about this... he could probably share some experiences he has seen with this problem.

Edit: Oops, Todd beat me to it...

Edit 2: So did bigdaddy...

IIRC, 01xdime had a similar problem last year. Maybe he will chime in... Ron

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    take a picture of the supercharger in question... we'll be able to tell you alot about it from pictures... mainly just the drive side of the supercharger. get us a good pic of the gear and washers and everything...

throw the charger in a vice and put a 17mm socket on the end of a cordless drill and spin the hell out of that charger on the work bench see if you can replicate the issue on the bench

what color is the charger housing? red or black? .... only certain part number red housings call for a shim between the back housing and the engine's pto casing... not all red housings, certiain ones tho. if it's black housing, then it just bolts on no shims or spacers or anything.

oh yea.... you gonna tell me he bought a used SC with ceramic clutch washers again!?!? i hope not, lol... i hope he bought a used one with metal clutches at least

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Personally if it were me... I would rebuild that charger with an 08 kit.

I agree. It's the best kit we have to work with.

+1
    by the pics he e-mailed to me.... it looks like a hack might have been in there... i hope to god it wasn't someone on this forum that sold him that charger, i keeeel you!!

the pics were on the blurry side in my e-mail account and big resolution, i'll download them later and see if the pic quality is better for me to more clearly see something that jumped out at my eye... i always look at the lock washer first, its the easiest give-away... it looked weird to me. it appears to be an 06+ kit with the green inner ceramic washer.... (yes, it still has ceramics in there) ..... 06+ kit means the lock washer has that thinner flat spot for the newer tool. This one looks like someone grinded or filed the flat spot on the lock washer to be wider like the 03-05 kits... from the pics it doesn't look machine cut... it looks hacked up...

lemme jsut go download the pics and post em so we all lookin at the same thing...

either way... at the bare minimum i'd be doing bearings and clutch washers on this thing... and at that point, for the 295 bucks or whatever it is, do a whole kit

+1
    ah, pictures much better out of my e-mail account... what a shitty freaken software my website e-mail uses to display pics within an e-mail, ooof

to me..... i THINK i'm seeing an 06+ kit that the lock washer was grinded to be flat for a wider area...

PS... if the lubricant on the supercharger housing area that slides into the PTO cover... the grey stuff.... is that grease? or is that never seize or anti-seize or something? ....... dont use anti-seize type stuff. the graphite content of the antiseize gets into the engine and in the oil and in the bearings =
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01112.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	121631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01113.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	121632  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information