Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    SCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    California and Nevada
    Posts
    227

    Boost vs Denser Charge

    Basically I'm comparing intercoolers. From what I have gathered on this site the Riva IC has the optimal flow rate vs cooling power while the Rotax IC has greater cooling power but less flow.

    Which actually creates more power, a higher flow rate of air OR a cooler denser charge?

    For long distance racing such as 60 to 300 miles at a time I would think the Rotax IC would have less heat fade than the Riva IC producing more power, yet you would still have a lower flow rate.

    I'm looking for some feed back, what do you guys think?


  2. #2

    Wink cooler

    i found rotax to be the best cooler with my testing in cc racing on a turbo boat
    4 laps 30psi (xs) 155 deg f
    4 laps 30psi (riva gen 2) 122 deg f
    4 laps 30psi (rotax racing) 113ged f
    xs gove us the best flat out speed for 1 lap after that boat dies the more laps we do more intake temp, less power
    rotax 0.3mph off the cold xs but consistant speed all the way to say 13-14 laps
    riva gen 2 was the punchiest good all round cooler
    xs is a good cooler for 1-2 10 sec runs after that its boiling but for ppl with sc they might be ok

  3. #3
    Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    2,677
    +1
    4
    subzero... this is pretty cool information (pun intended). Thanks for sharing.

  4. #4
    SCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    California and Nevada
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    i found rotax to be the best cooler with my testing in cc racing on a turbo boat
    4 laps 30psi (xs) 155 deg f
    4 laps 30psi (riva gen 2) 122 deg f
    4 laps 30psi (rotax racing) 113ged f
    xs gove us the best flat out speed for 1 lap after that boat dies the more laps we do more intake temp, less power
    rotax 0.3mph off the cold xs but consistant speed all the way to say 13-14 laps
    riva gen 2 was the punchiest good all round cooler
    xs is a good cooler for 1-2 10 sec runs after that its boiling but for ppl with sc they might be ok
    That is very good to know. Thank you.

    So then are you running the Riva?

  5. #5
    SCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    California and Nevada
    Posts
    227
    Oh wait I just read that again, you found the rotax to be the best for your setup.

  6. #6
    Ride Hard! aha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covina, Ca
    Posts
    2,009
    +1
    11
    That is some great info! I wonder if the difference is that much when running 1/2 that amount of boost... which is typical of say a 2Rude at 8500 RPM's.

  7. #7
    Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    2,677
    +1
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    ... I wonder if the difference is that much when running 1/2 that amount of boost... which is typical of say a 2Rude at 8500 RPM's.
    aha, you bring up a good point!

    Back in the day (more days than I care to remember) we used to study and discuss the physics of "thermal runaway". This being the concept of increased heat, verses the inability to dissipate said heat, leading to even more heat... well, you get the picture.

    Anyway, my guess is that an endurance/racing turbo application would surely benefit from an IC that can defeat excessive heat build up, while a recreational/short term SC application would not respond adversely to the many different offerings... especially when one considers the price.

    I'm sticking with the XS...

  8. #8
    SeaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, N.C.
    Posts
    2,214
    +1
    2
    Isn't the Riva gen. II and the "X" ski intercooler one and the same?

  9. #9
    GTXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NW, GA
    Posts
    1,776
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Isn't the Riva gen. II and the "X" ski intercooler one and the same?
    yes, and it's manufactured in North America.

  10. #10
    Ride Hard! aha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covina, Ca
    Posts
    2,009
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    aha, you bring up a good point!

    Back in the day (more days than I care to remember) we used to study and discuss the physics of "thermal runaway". This being the concept of increased heat, verses the inability to dissipate said heat, leading to even more heat... well, you get the picture.

    Anyway, my guess is that an endurance/racing turbo application would surely benefit from an IC that can defeat excessive heat build up, while a recreational/short term SC application would not respond adversely to the many different offerings... especially when one considers the price.

    I'm sticking with the XS...
    Cant beat the price of the XS!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ET Low Boost vs. ET 15.5
    By Yellow93 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
  2. custom config file for rude boost vs volts
    By BoostedH23a1 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 03:22 PM
  3. turbo charged vs super charged
    By smohammed in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
  4. engine internals: boost vs. compression
    By thewhitewonder86 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 06:58 PM
  5. Octane boost vs. 92 or above?
    By MKaman in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •