Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

A little set back on my skis.

Well....where to start....hmmm...

Well I've been doing jet ski work now for about 11 years on my skis, friends skis and even customers skis so I've been around for quite some time I guess now. I got started on a topic with Oside regarding check valves in the carbs and if it truly matters on which side of the line is up. I've put together at least 100+ carbs in the last few years and never paid that much attention to the line facing up or down and never had a problem. I was always told that it was a line center mark where they are cut and it does not matter from back when we all were on the SBT boards...and so far I guess I've never noticed any difference and all my skis have ran AWESOME ...never any issues, seizures etc .....ever.

I got talking to a few others and some say it don't matter....some say it does so ?? The truth about it is the line is the top side of the roll and I guess my previous explanation was wrong from MOD's from the SBT boards about 10 years ago. I went ahead just because I don't even want to think about an issue with the new 1200, and pulled all 5 carbs from the skis to check and see what was what. Upon looking closer....I found the parts that I got from John at JSS must not have been Gen Mikuni parts because no line was even on any of them that were sent in my kits I ordered. I did notice the parts from Carl at Island had the lines when I ordered a few extra because one was bit crinkled to me so I took the safe route.

So...the ones installed don't have lines at all....so which is up ...which is down?? I decided to go ahead and pull them all out "check valves" and order new ones at the tone of almost $3/each x 5 x2 carbs to make sure "IT DOES NOT MATTER". I feel this was not needed....but I don't want to have anyone say it was the reason...although 10 years of doing this...I never paid much attention.

Am I bashing John.....NO...he's always done good on parts...although it is always stated he has Gen Mikuni parts...and Oside said all Gen Mikuni carb valve have the line so I'm thinking these must be another part from somhwere and or I gues the gas washed off the lines ? No matters....it's time....$50 in valves and some base gaskets.

I had extras from Carl and got the blasters done. It only has one pump section so the extras I had was enough. I'm just awaiting the new gaskets to put the carbs back on and get the ski back together. I've though about taking the Ebox back apart and turning the limiter down just a tad to make the engine last a wee bit longer because it's not like it's going to spin 8200rpm ..."which is where the limiter kicked in". I guess I'm good about throttle control when the pump is unhooked....but others may not bee and I've though about setting it around 7500 for that reason. It's almost impossible to get the box out with the carbs on.....just debating to lower it or not. I guess the same really goes for the raider...and lowering it's limiter. It's at 7800 and the ski will never turn that unless the pump comes unhooked...so why spin it ya know?

Maybe I'm just typing...but I guess I want the safest route and at least I know according to some...the valves will be installed as needed.

M

+1
    Valves are not flat the key is to put them in so they seal.
    If they are upside down they might not seal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Check valve assortment.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	121604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Check valve bad.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	121605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Check valve good no ring.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	121606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Check valve new.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	121607  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Valves are not flat the key is to put them in so they seal.
    If they are upside down they might not seal.
    Ok...using that logic....how do you put them right side up with NO line? They are the size of a nickle....it's not like they are the size of a quarter. The grommet is what gives it the pressure...not the valve itself. I think you have a better chance of a leaking valve from a worn gromment..then you do on a piece of plastic that may ....MAY...have .0005 of a cusp to it IMO. I feel it was really not needed....and again all the skis I've worked on....NEVER had an issue...so...does it really matter....hmmmm

Trying to convince myself to take all 800 screws out of the E box and lower the limiter a little on the skis....I guess why let them free rev so high...for no reason ... ya know

m

+1
    they are like a contact lense
    Imagine the carb body is an eye and the valve is the lense.
    Like an aircraft wing longer top surface.
    The outer edge of the valve seals,if its upside down it wont.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    they are like a contact lense
    Imagine the carb body is an eye and the valve is the lense.
    Like an aircraft wing longer top surface.
    The outer edge of the valve seals,if its upside down it wont.
    K doc

Tell me on a clear valve....which is up and down? Tell me how to tell the difference....I have a Mag glass...and can't see ANY difference whats so ever. Even Big Mark said he's never once paid any attention to the side when installing them....

So....how can you tell me to see the difference. I've got a 200x lense....and you can't see NOTHING different.

M

+1
    I have seen a few different check valves and I dont remember seeing flat ones.
    In my pics the 3rd one is a Yamaha OEM valve has the blue line on it and its curved.
    If you have flat Yamaha OEM then they must make flat ones too.
    The other ones in the pics came out of my 97 years ago and have a ring around the underside they are not OEM Yamaha
    I do know they make a larger size for the GPR but dont know if there flat or curved.
    If there flat they could go in either way IMO

who told you that.. the line is in it also ,so if you drop it you can see it..i have o/e miunis on the waverunner wr's(bout as old as the sun) with no lines and some with, you put it on white up, new,so you can then can know you put it on the same way the second time as it distorts like a contact lens with time and pressure (but who uses them over) whos got your leg mp?? i have only seen flat in oe new install. the non o/e's just arn't marked is all.

its to know you put the f'n thing on too.. hope that convinces you...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    who told you that.. the line is in it also ,so if you drop it you can see it..i have o/e miunis on the waverunner wr's(bout as old as the sun) with no lines and some with, you put it on white up, new,so you can then can know you put it on the same way the second time as it distorts like a contact lens with time and pressure (but who uses them over) whos got your leg mp?? i have only seen flat in oe new install. the non o/e's just arn't marked is all.

its to know you put the f'n thing on too.. hope that convinces you...

HUH?

huh what .. ok ,your good, dont worrie, you used new , no issues your good ,go for it, no prob with your install .. lol really i feel you are worried about smething that wont affect you ..as you used flat and new and not distorted old dished stuff..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    huh what .. ok ,your good, dont worrie, you used new , no issues your good ,go for it, no prob with your install .. lol really i feel you are worried about smething that wont affect you ..as you used flat and new and not distorted old dished stuff..
    Yeah...well to late now...ordered the $50 in parts...and pulled all the carbs so I'm going to replace them all with the magic line up as some have stated matters that have done more carbs then myself. I'm just trying to find a difference ....even the microscope that my son has I just used cant show me zero difference...shrug

M

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information