Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Dell Computers SUCK!!!

ah yup, our brand new 8 month old inspiron 1720 laptop is a big POS. I can`t believe when my wife called me at work to say "it`s dead and won`t start up...

after being on the phone with Dell for several hours, they tell us that it`s not thier problem that it is a software problem...

I said: well who loaded the software, you guys did when we bought this new last July, now $1800 down the tubes... what a POS, I`ll never buy another Dell ever again...

if we reload the OS we will lose all our stuff, and yes before you ask, I didn`t back up....

Dell says to higher outside contractor to repair computer at my cost... fck them!

+1
    Dells are way too expensive. I would never buy from them. Their service used to be #1 but the last 5 years or so they have become crap for service.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does the laptop not even wake up when you press the Power button, or does Windows simply fail to load properly after the computer starts booting up?

Even if the computer doesn't start, you can still recover your data and documents from the laptop hard drive. The hard drive can be removed, and using an inexpensive USB external hard drive box, it can be connected to another computer to copy out your data.

Does your Inspiron 1720 have one or two SATA hard drives inside? Did you have 160GB (one drive), or 320GB capacity (two drives)?

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Do you live anywhere near miami? Ill fix it for ya if you do and backup your files and reinstall OS. Free ofcourse.

+1
    BTW when something gets corrupted its not dells fault. Sounds to me like your hard drive is still in good condition if Dell says its not their liability. I will assume that its a windows error. Software is not part of the warranty package from any manufacturer.

If I were you and you are far from me....
    1. Buy a hard drive enclosure or USB to SATA/IDE connector at best buy. Probably run you $20. Unscrew the screws at the bottom. This video will help you understand where the hard drive is located. Hook up the hard drive to the external hard drive enclosure or USB to SATA connector you bought and plug it into another computer, it will pick it up as a regular USB flash drive. Drag and drop files as you please.

2. I have another solution
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/

+1

+1
    I wont even go into mentioning how much apple computers suck. Our contract with them is on the brink as we cannot afford downtime because of our Mac Pro's blowing power and motherboard issues.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    here's my strategy.... i buy a new laptop every other year the day after thanksgiving. stand on some stupid line at best buy, who cares i'll take a nap on a sidewalk.... pick up a decently well equipped laptop that suits my basic needs of primitive games and internet and e-mail and music and videos.... use it for two years and chuck it in the garabage and get another one...

i just got the one i'm on now this past black friday...

HP laptop
    AMD dual core processor
    3 GB ram
    250 GB hard drive
    dvd burner
    built in webcam
    built in card reader
    some other BS specs that i dont know or dont mean anything to me, haha...

$429 bucks WITH a free printer included ....doesn't break my heart or wallet to buy a new one every 2-3 years when it's so cheap and meets my basic needs

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Andy!! hope you are able to recover your files!!

+1
    Shibby, next time you plan on throwing one in the garbage please PM me, ill take it and pay the shipping!

I have dealt with every brand of laptop and I would have to say the macbook has been by FAR the best. I have never had an issue with any of the macbooks I have had. I do always buy the extended warranty if I get close to the year mark. If there is a problem, then I take it to the apple store and they fix it (never had a problem... just with iphone).

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information