Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

riding ski in saltwater

i'm about to buy a 96 polaris 780. can i ride it in saltwater and it last, and not mess it up?

+1
    Thats all we have to ride on in LI...Wont kill your ski, clean it after each ride. Soapy water an i like to spray the inside down with kawachem. An last but no tleast flush the engine!

where can i buy kawachem? and i'm 16, and never owned a jet ski. and dont have issues with pride when i ask. how do i flush the engine? lol

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk 96.

Any boating supply place will have a "salt away" product to help fight corrosion issues.

Flushing the engine is key. There's a garden hose adapter that hooks your hose to the engine in order to wash out any salt inside the cooling system.

Should you buy the ski, we'll elaborate more on that.

I ride my SLT in salt all the time-a good flush/cleaning is a must to keep it from corroding. Also I spray the entire engine/jet pump with WD40 after any ride in salt. It works very well to keep things working good.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

There is lots of information here regarding riding in salt water, and the preventative maintenance and practices that will keep it looking good and running well.

The search function, combined with plenty of time spent reading what others have already posted, will provide a lot of information and knowledge.

Riders of other PWC brands also ride in salt water, so look in those forums too.

Even threads and posts from long ago can still be relevant.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris96 View Post
    where can i buy kawachem? and i'm 16, and never owned a jet ski. and dont have issues with pride when i ask. how do i flush the engine? lol
    Any kawasaki dealer will have it...Or like mentioned befor you can use wd40. Either or will work. Have fun!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Many folks are using Fluid Film spray (Lanolin derived) to protect the engine exterior and other metal PWC parts. You can even get a can for free just by sending a message to joyofFluidFilm

See this thread for more info;
    Free Fluid Film Samples ...I SAID FREE...

Fluid Film doesn't contain petroleum solvents, so it won't degrade rubber, plastics and wire insulation over time. WD-40 is mostly oil and solvents, which is fine for metal, not so good for everything else.

I use Fluid Film, and a light spray film does the job.

Products like Salt Away can be sprayed on the outside of the engine, and the hull, to dissolve salt and protect from corrosion. It is also used to flush the engine cooling system, and protect it from salt corrosion.

If you don't have one, install a reverse flushing kit on your engine, and use it after every ride.

BTW, the Polaris Service manual for your Polaris can be found here. It includes useful information on how to care for your PWC.

WHEN FLUSHING ENGINE Start the engine first and then turn on water. After flushing turn off the water and then the engine. But run the engine enough after turning off water to make sure most water is out. This procedure is important so you don't force water into the cylinders or crankcase.

wow. you guys really helped out. im glad I joined a forum where everyone is here to help out. thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information