Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Collaborative Polaris knowledge collection

...For those that have not seen it yet, there is a new web site front end for all the Polaris Service Manuals (still hosted by mattman), and a lot of other useful info...
    Let me know what you think of the web site, and how it could be improved.

Something I feel would be great project for those who really know their Polaris stuff, would be to collaborate and put together an information document for each type of Polaris PWC;
    Fuji,
    Domestic carbureted,
    Domestic fuel injected,
    Weber four stroke

All the info a new owner of these machines might need, in one place.
    Common problems and their fixes.
    Maintenance practices, tips, and gotchas.
    Common upgrades, tips, techniques, etc.
    What to look for when buying a Polaris.
    Where to buy parts, new and used.
    Where to find services (carb rebuild, engine work, etc).
    Where to find information online (Polaris Industries web sites, Polaris OEM parts suppliers)
    It could include links to GH threads and posts, of course.

A lot of this info is posted already, but it can be hard to find, especially if you don't know what words to search for, or where exactly to look. Heck, some info is hard to find here even when you do know what you are looking for.

Combining the knowledge spread around the various members, I think such well focused documents would be incredibly useful reading, especially to new-comers.

I could collect and attach those documents (probably in PDF form) to one of the pages on the new web site (or a new web page).

Or possibly it could be managed in the form of Wiki pages, where collaborators can directly add or edit information where their expertise and interest lies.

This would create another solid Polaris resource to point folks towards.

Any volunteers?

Can we make this happen?

Looking through the Polaris official service manuals that are now available online (all model years are now covered), there is so much useful info that is NOT mentioned in the official manuals.

One of the things that will help keep more Polaris PWC on the water is the ability to easily find information and support.

Especially for newcomers, knowing that the material is available can help them make the decision to buy or repair a Polaris PWC. The better this info is packaged, vetted, and presented, the better for everyone.

BTW, if you happen to have other Polaris info available (in paper or electronic form), like collections of the Polaris Service Bulletins or PWC Team tips, let me know.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I got the Polaris PLVIII ignition trouble shooting tape on DVD now,shoot me a PM with were I can send it to you so you can upload it,it's too big to e-mail unless I can upload to a FTP site.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    ...shoot me a PM with were I can send it to you so you can upload it...
    PM sent

+1

Arrow Submitting material for the Polaris PWC Knowledge web site

For those who can put something together, even in rough form, or have some documents already pulled together, you can email them to me, and I will get them organized and edited (if it needs any), and posted up.

It will help me if you list the subject of the material, what it applies to (Fuji engine, jet pump, maintenance, etc).

Even an organized page of links to useful GH threads would be good to have. If you have some PWC related Favorites links, that can be a good start.

For those that are interested and willing to be more hands on, I can provide you with direct access to the Polaris PWC Knowledge web site, so you can edit, attach, and link material.

I am using Google Sites for this, so it is actually rather easy to do basic stuff, and zero knowledge of HTML is required.

It would reduce the focus on me if others are able to contribute material, and help a little with the page editing.

I am not trying to direct attention away from Greenhulk.net with this project. In fact, I think the more links to existing GH threads, the better.

What I have noted is new arrivals to the Polaris forum often having trouble finding the basic info to get them started. The known limitations of the current forum search methods also slows them down.

+1
    Thanks K

All of my stuff is posted in the FAQ section.

Here are SB's kind of mixed up and incomplete. Al should have the rest of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1

Arrow How you can contribute

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    ...All of my stuff is posted in the FAQ section...
    What I am trying to create is sort of a guide to the existing Polaris GreenHulk threads and posts (that already contain really useful info and tips).

This provides an alternative to using the GreenHulk search system. Folks will still find themselves reading GreenHulk. This is another way to learn the lay of the land, Polaris-wise.

When someone doesn't know what to search for, or even what kinds of info are hidden among the thousands of Greenhulk posts, a menu/guide of sorts can be rather helpful.

Polaris PWC Knowledge web site

I have linked to this from the PWC resources page on the Service Manuals web site.

In addition to all the links and pointers, some smaller documents and such are directly attached. These are often also posted or attached elsewhere on Greenhulk, but having copies directly attached makes it another resource.

Since I am using Google Sites to build this thing, it is easy for yourself and others to directly edit the pages, create new pages, and add more links and attachments. No HTML web skills required. Just let me know, and I will send you the access link.

Just as you currently find and link to previous threads and posts in response to recently posted questions, if you can collect and organize those same pointers and links and add them to these Knowledge pages, I think others would find it useful.

I suppose I could read through every old thread, and link to those I thought were accurate and useful - it would take me a long time. I would rather have some help

Have a look at what is there so far. If you can help flesh it out, let me know.

Thread Information