WTB: gsx 800 what should I be looking for?

What are the typical issue I need to look for when I go check out some ski's in the near future?

Anyone have a used buyers guide list?

Anyone have a GSX forsale?

still wondering if I should just get a 800 xp...arr (I've wanted one forever)

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by crxski View Post
    still wondering if I should just get a 800 xp...arr (I've wanted one forever)
    Id take the XP overthe GSX anyday unless the GSX has the 951. XP has a lot more fun factor than the GSX

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Id take the XP overthe GSX anyday unless the GSX has the 951. XP has a lot more fun factor than the GSX
    agree and I would love to get an xp but I need something that can do both, longer tripd and just messing around wave jumping, I wanted to get an xp mod ski just for wave jumping and messing around but I'm just going to get something that can do both because I don't have the room for two which sucks.

I was talking to a few guys last year one had a stock xp800 and another had a gsx 800, and they where both had pros and cons for each but I'm leaning to the gsx because I will be using it for anumber of things.

If I can't find a gsx for a good deal in good condition I'll go back to the xp because they are easier to find.

But anyways back to the GSX question... anything I need to look at?

edit: I don't want a 951 because I don't want to worry about it blowing up or the extra fuel and weight.
    Last edited by crxski; 03-19-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: xp951

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    there shouldnt be any more of a risk of a 951 blowing up than a 787. look for a new +98 XP or check this page out its got every model
    http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html

Quote Originally Posted by crxski View Post
    edit: I don't want a 951 because I don't want to worry about it blowing up or the extra fuel and weight.
    I loved my GSXL's I hated the 787 and still do. To each his own. LOL
    If its a Salt water machine it can have lots of electrical problems at that age. Check the whole thing top to bottom. Open the rear Electrical box and look for water. Is it a good battery not that Never Start Crap from Walmart. Is it the original engine? If it has SBT tag on it run don't walk. Are the casting bungs on the pipe solid they corrode out. Is it original. If its modified can you tune it? Do you recognize the Mods or are you going to have problems finding info. Its better if you mod your own instead of learning how to fix someone elses mods. Is the frailer in good shape do the lights work and tires and bearings. Tow it to the water. Before you back in feel the Hubs are they hot? If they are bearings need attention. Start it shut it off then pu tit in the water and ride it. If you cant snap the throttle WFO after its warmed up without a hesitation. The Carbs arent right. If it has gray fuel lines its going to need new ones and a carb Fuel system clean. If they wont take it out for you to ride knock at least 1000 off the price. This is just a few things. Compression wont tell you as much as starting it in the water and riding it.

Thanks for your info guys,

picked up a 1997 GSX, MINT in every way....one owner dealer serviced and only 31 hours!!!!!!!

Check it out.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    95/96XP (aka 97/98 SPX) : Lightest, best turning, quickest, fastest. CONS : Very "skittish" at high speed on smooth water, hull can "hook" a turn sharp enough to lose rider, difficult to control at high speed in rough water, difficult to hook up in rough water, short fuel range.
    GSX - : excellent turning control in smooth and rough water, excellent hook up at high speed in rough water, best fuel range. CONS: Extra weight and length make it slower that the 96 XP models

The gsx is a great choice, i have a 96xp and love it but a gsx isn't a bad choice at all.

Its a beauty. If it hasn't been done replace the fuel lines. We had a hold over 97 that had 0 hours and the carbs didnt make 10 hours before they clogged. If the filter has crap in the bottom do it now.. I live in Florida and the lines started failing here first. I think the heat and length of the season helped it show up

Quote Originally Posted by seadoobutch787 View Post
    95/96XP (aka 97/98 SPX) : Lightest, best turning, quickest, fastest. CONS : Very "skittish" at high speed on smooth water, hull can "hook" a turn sharp enough to lose rider, difficult to control at high speed in rough water, difficult to hook up in rough water, short fuel range.
    GSX - : excellent turning control in smooth and rough water, excellent hook up at high speed in rough water, best fuel range. CONS: Extra weight and length make it slower that the 96 XP models

The gsx is a great choice, i have a 96xp and love it but a gsx isn't a bad choice at all.
    Ill only add one thing the GSXL stock had a habit of sudden turns while running flat out on smooth water and hitting a small wake. I was tossed twice on a 98. Installed a worx grate problem fixed.. It thought it was an Ultra 150

Thread Information