Thread: Carpet replace.

Carpet replace.

I have to replace my carpets on my bunks. They must have been burnt during the shrink wrap process, shit happens. I was just going to launch the ski, and replace. I am new to the game, this is my second year out.

I plan on getting the pre-cut carpet along with stainless staples. Should I carpet right over the existing for added padding? remove it? and any other advice or tips for doing this would be appreciated. thanks.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleaves View Post
    I have to replace my carpets on my bunks. They must have been burnt during the shrink wrap process, shit happens. I was just going to launch the ski, and replace. I am new to the game, this is my second year out.

I plan on getting the pre-cut carpet along with stainless staples. Should I carpet right over the existing for added padding? remove it? and any other advice or tips for doing this would be appreciated. thanks.
    Couldn't tell ya, my boards had rotted out so I just replaced the whole she-bang

I removed the old carpet and stapled the new on. Seems like 2 layers of carpet would trap a lot of moisture and possibly rot the boards.

Don't get precut carpeting -- it's a lot of $$. I went to lowes, bought a 8x6 outdoor, low nap carpet with a sturdy backing and cut it myself.

+1
    If they arent already...Round the edges of your bunks. It will help the wear on the carpet and your ski.

At a home center you can find good quality indoor/outdoor carpet that will work well. Buy 2 feet of a 6 foot wide roll and you will have enough for 2 bunks.

+1
    I agree w/the above post. But check your boards: This is a perfect time to replace your bunk boards if needed. Go to the local home center/lumber yard and get pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6. 1 12' board cut in half w/prob. be enough. If you're riding fresh, don't go out of the way for SS staples. Good chance the new bunk carpet may wear out before the standard staples rust out. Easy DIY, just like wrapping a X-mas present.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Replacing bunk carpet, lifting ski off bunks

Quote Originally Posted by sleaves View Post
    I have to replace my carpets on my bunks.
    ...I was just going to launch the ski, and replace...
    Another method, which you can do at home, is to use a lifting jack with a wood pad on top to lift the rear of the ski off the trailer, until the weight is supported by the bow roller and the jack.

Then you can remove one of the bunk boards from the trailer, change the carpet, then reinstall the bunk. Then do the other side.

Just be sure the trailer is stable (hook it up to the car, with parking brake set), the lift jack is securely positioned, and the bow winch strap is positioned to hold the nose in place while you are lifting the ski.

When I replaced carpet on a friend's bunks, I didn't have SS staples handy. I used SS wood screws and SS washers, and put them through the carpet overlap on the back of the bunks. At the same time, I installed aluminum U-channel as a bunk stiffener. The combination worked well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB139485.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	122456  

I vote for pulling the old off as well. I did both bunks with my ski tied to a swim platform, in the boat ramp parking lot, on my back, with no problem. It took about an hour (uncut carpet) and for some reason I am always scared of my ski getting jacked so I got up at least 3 or 4 times to check on it.

EDIT: Uphill, both ways.

remove all old carpet and staples.
    As cheap as PT(pressure treated) wood is I would replace those too.
    I use stainless staples,its worth the extra money.

deff replace!!!

Thread Information